Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7x17 film holder on Epson V700 - not working...

Lachlan 717

Re: 7x17 film holder on Epson V700 - not working...

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Perhaps it is, but I've never heard of it.

Pardon me for trying to help. I shan't make that mistake again.

- Leigh
    Pardon me for apologising to you for not being more specific; I shan't make that mistake again.

I notice that your help seems to come with a price tag of then having to accept your grumpy and condescending comments further down the line.

So, thanks for your initial input. As I stated, it was greatly appreciated. However, don't bother assisting me in future.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lachlan, I still think you need to copy the cut out at the back like the film guide. You only seem to have some small half circles.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Lachlan, I still think you need to copy the cut out at the back like the film guide. You only seem to have some small half circles.
    Thanks for the advice. My thoughts, too.

I've been in touch with Epson in a hope to obtain the hole registry that Leigh referred to. I'll probably mill out the section that you refer to if/when I get these details.

I tried to gauge the maximum scanning width with the 4x5 holder. It seems that it represents a width close to that Epson quotes on their website as 8.5" x 11.7" (216 x 297mm).

If Epson doesn't get back to me, I'm probably going to mimic the holes on the 4x5 holder and see what I get.

Thanks again for your input.
    Lachlan.

I did a little test, maybe you have done this yourself. But if you use the film guide on the glass and tell the scanner you using a film holder you get about a 6 inch wide scan, and about 9 1/2 long

The area is 5.9 x 9.7 inches according to EpsonScan. Tell the Document type is "Film (with Film Holder)". Preview result will tell you "Can't find Document". Just close this and click on Normal View (not Thumbnail). Marque your image and scan.

Leigh, do make that mistake again. Anything you and others can contribute here is valuable to me and others.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Lachlan -

You need to have the calibration gap as others have mentioned AND in the right place AND you cannot let any film (or anything) cover any part of that gap. I am guessing you my film holder down on to the scanner in the wrong orientation or covered part of the calibration gap when you experienced that it also produced a recognition problem. Excess film is going to have to flow out over the other end of the scanner. The film format coding holes are not worth the effort and there aren't any for that specific format anyway. As others have suggested, go into Professional mode and draw your marquees manually (see the top section of this link if you are not familiar with how to do that: http://www.betterscanning.com/scanni...scanning.html).

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I thought you meant 7cm x 17cm, not 7" x 17". It does help to specify.

- Leigh
    Leigh no need to get upset mate. This is LFPF and '7x17' is fairly well traveled ground and universally understood. Certainly around here...

Lachlan I am loving this concept - keep us posted!

funkadelic

Lachlan,
    I don't even own a scanner, so take this with a grain of salt. Most of the software I work with is proprietary and non-photo related, but one thing I have noticed that many applications have in common: they usually have a set of configuration values stored the the registry (on Windows) or in a .conf file (MacOS or other UNIX-like OS). If you find from tech support that it's a configuration problem, ask if there is a registry value you can change or config/initialization setting you can change in the OS. Sometimes making a generic application work with unsupported hardware can be done if you just know what and how to ask.
    Best of luck,
    Chris

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    Lachlan -

You need to have the calibration gap as others have mentioned AND in the right place AND you cannot let any film (or anything) cover any part of that gap. I am guessing you my film holder down on to the scanner in the wrong orientation or covered part of the calibration gap when you experienced that it also produced a recognition problem. Excess film is going to have to flow out over the other end of the scanner. The film format coding holes are not worth the effort and there aren't any for that specific format anyway. As others have suggested, go into Professional mode and draw your marquees manually (see the top section of this link if you are not familiar with how to do that: http://www.betterscanning.com/scanni...scanning.html).

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com
    Many thanks, Doug. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I'm starting to understand why you avoided making me one if these with a barge-pole!!
    Lachlan.