Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod and Head for Linhof Technika

Tripod and Head for Linhof Technika

Hi there

I'm looking for a good and light tripod/head combination for the Linhof Master Technika with standard lenses.

I think I should go with one of Gitzo's carbon Tripods..I personally thought of the 2541L. What do the experts here think of that?

Concerning the head I thought of the Linhof ball head II or III. Or maybe one from Arca Swiss?

Do you have any other recommendations? It's such a huge choice

Cheers,

Toby

Re: Tripod and Head for Linhof Technika

The Linhof 3-D head is ideal for a 4x5 Linhof, I think it is the very best tripod head for its size. Some people like ballheads and quick release plates but I do not. The Linhof camera screw is very secure and the quality is second to none.

I bought my second one for only $183 USd from eBay.de

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ng_Head_I.html

These are also very nice for air travel with a tripod since the low profile knobs handle abuse better than the long handles of the Gitzo heads, while being less fragile than the delicate Arca-RRS-style ballheads.

I am not an expert but the #2xxx series Gitzo CF tripods are nice. I prefer the larger #3xxx if weight is not the primary concern.

Jesus! 900$ Well, I hope I can get one used What makes this head so special i.e. expensive?

Thanks and cheers

Toby

Have you seen the prices for a new Technika? Something has to be the best ;-)

But then you can usually buy used for about one-third of the price and then they are competitive with other cameras. Arcas and others also are very expensive new.

I use the head with the older #3 metal legs, also under $200 used. It's a nice compromise, a solid tripod that isn't too expensive.

toby,
    i always use levelling tripods without a head. berlebach, gitzo or manfrotto produce them. if money isn't a deal breaker try this, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6X_Carbon.html
    if you need a head, look at the manfrotto 410.

I use either a tiltall or velbon carbon legs with a manfrotto 410 with my super tech V , no big money and do the job ( I didn't pay much for the camera either) more cash for film and processing.....
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The Linhof 3-D head is ideal for a 4x5 Linhof, I think it is the very best tripod head for its size. Some people like ballheads and quick release plates but I do not. The Linhof camera screw is very secure and the quality is second to none.
    Frank, that is all true. But inaccurate. The Linhof 3D head is the new geared head that began shipping yesterday. The head in the ad that you are referring to is the Linhof 3 Way Leveling Head. A very different animal. And one that is even more precise!

Quote Originally Posted by :Kraftakt: View Post
    Hi there

I'm looking for a good and light tripod/head combination for the Linhof Master Technika with standard lenses.

I think I should go with one of Gitzo's carbon Tripods..I personally thought of the 2541L. What do the experts here think of that?

Concerning the head I thought of the Linhof ball head II or III. Or maybe one from Arca Swiss?

Do you have any other recommendations? It's such a huge choice

Cheers,

Novoflex Classic Ball 3 or 5 or the MagicBall.
    Toby

I used a Gitzo 1325 tripod and a Manfrotto 410 geared head with several Technikas. It was a nice combination especially for architectural or any other kind of photography where you need to get lines perfectly straight. But the camera only weighs six pounds so there's quite a few different legs and heads that will work fine.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Check out the legs and ball heads from ''Feisol''. Great products. I'm currently using there biggest legs and biggest ball head with a Tech V, overkill maybe but a supremely stable and bomb proof combination thats a joy to use. I have the choice of a Linhof 3 way head but that stays idle in favour of the far cheaper feisol ball head with their 100mm QR plate under the Tech.