Thread: Sinar Rail Clamp vs. Rail Clamp 2?

Sinar Rail Clamp vs. Rail Clamp 2?

I recently acquired a Sinar P with everything but a rail clamp (although Super Clamps have worked quite well so far).

I see plenty of rail clamps all over the place, and fewer rail clamp 2 versions at a higher price.

What does "Rail Clamp 2" do that the regular rail clamp doesn't?

Re: Sinar Rail Clamp vs. Rail Clamp 2?

The Rail Clamp 2 wraps over the top of the rail and encircles it completely.

The Rail Clamp remains open at the top, and clamps the rail bushing only at the sides.

Both will work fine with a P. The standard rail clamp 411.21 was the only clamp offered for any Sinar for a long time.

I prefer the standard clamp with my F, because it's easier to leave the clamp on the tripod and just drop the rail into the slot to mount the camera.

If you want a really low profile clamp, look for a Norma version.

Rick "any Sinar rail clamp will do" Denney

Re: Sinar Rail Clamp vs. Rail Clamp 2?

Be sure to get the Nylon bushing that slides over the rail... it is what gets clamped so the rail isn't marred. A plain rail will not fit into a plain clamp, but many ignorant sellers will not include the bushing and you'll SOL.

The Rail Clamp 2 is nice for 8x10 or extended cameras, but the common clamps are plenty strong too. You can also use two clamps and mount them on a Sinar plate, which mounts to your tripod. The older low profile Norma clamps are all metal, the Rail Clamp 2 is also beefy metal. The cheap regular clamp is fine though, as strong as it needs to be.

Finally, the Sinar Pan-Tilt Head will mesh perfectly (keystones into place) with these clamps and form the most perfect tripod head system in photography. They are the best engineered parts of the Sinar system - clean, compact, light yet super strong. Get the Pan-Tilt if at all possible.