Thread: Midwest Photo inventory

Midwest Photo inventory

I keep meaning to call Jim at Midwest Photo about this, but I've noticed now for a long time that their inventory of used items -- as reflected on their website -- is really down from what it used to be in years past.
    They used to list a heck of a lot more second-hand large format cameras on their website. Last time I checked, they only had a used reducing back listed under the used LF equipment category.
    Is this just a reflection of the market now for used cameras? Or perhaps they're not updating their website very often.
    Midwest is very reputable, and I hate for their stock of used stuff to dwindle.
    I know, I know -- I'll call and talk to them.

Octogenarian

Re: Midwest Photo inventory

According to Jim, the price of previously owned cameras and lenses has dropped dramatically due to the economic recession. It's no longer profitable to purchase large quantities of used equipment and keep it in his inventory.

He is now concentrating on helping educational institutions with the equipment and supplies for their photography programs. Mostly digital.

KEH, in Georgia, is the largest dealer of previously owned photography equipment, in all formats. They have a large stock of large format lenses. Usually at reasonable prices.

The Classified Section of this forum is also a good place to purchase used large format equipment.

Thank you, Gem

Arca-Swiss

Igor Camera and Lensfielders are also purveyors of good used LF equipment.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Octogenarian

Hey Rod, Igor???

Have you ever dealt with the guy? I did. Belly-to-belly on a couple of occasions. He buys low and sells high. Is reluctant to accept returns or make good on a defective piece of equipment.

KEH buys low, but they also sell low. Often, below eBay prices. They have an excellent return policy. If you are not satisfied with an item, for any reason, they will refund the full purchase price.

I hope your new Lensfielders endeavor doesn't use Igor as its role model.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Hey Rod, Igor???

Have you ever dealt with the guy? I did. Belly-to-belly on a couple of occasions. He buys low and sells high. Is reluctant to accept returns or make good on a defective piece of equipment.

KEH buys low, but they also sell low. Often, below eBay prices. They have an excellent return policy. If you are not satisfied with an item, for any reason, they will refund the full purchase price.

I hope your new Lensfielders endeavor doesn't use Igor as its role model.
    Don't forget Igor's grading system. Igor's "Ex" is lower than KEH's "BGN".
    It was twice for me. I'm done.

Igor misrepresented a Sun camera as a Shen Hao in his listing, and even when I called and asked him some questions about the camera he didn't mention that it really wasn't a Shen Hao. I realize that Suns arguably were identical to Shen's but a Sun isn't a Shen and they don't sell for the same price so even if it was in fact an identical camera the resale would be lower. I returned the camera soon after I discovered that it wasn't a Shen and didn't have any trouble with a refund. But I don't think I'd deal with him again.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.