Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl Zeiss Jena Large format Lenses (tessar)

Carl Zeiss Jena Large format Lenses (tessar)

Where is the best resource to find information on CZJ large format lenses. Specifically the Tessar . I have a CZJ 300m f4.5 1Q it has N88 on the aperture adjustment ring. I see them in that say DDR ( I assume Germany) I am interested in the Jena Tessar large format lenses? All I can seem to find is dslr lenses Like a Tessar T, Contax, been to captjack Carl Zeiss Jena Exakta Lenses page. Am I missing something, Obviously I am. I want to know more about my exact lens and was does 1Q and N88 mean? Seems Jena is made for every camera. Zeiss Tessar is a popular design. I gave only a few dollars for this lens from Bulgaria. I hope 24" of draw will focus this puppy, lol

My lens

Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Large format Lenses (tessar)

You can find some information in the article I wrote on CZJ lenses some years ago, in the article section on my web site: http://www.arnecroell.com/articles

<expletives deleted> http://www.google.com/search?q=tessa...fe=images&tbs=

Searching before asking is always a good idea. Search some more, look for Zeiss company history and the like. Having a copy of A Lens Collector's Vade Mecum would help you feed yourself better, Dan Colucci, who posts here as ccharrison, sells is. Spent the fifteen bucks or so it costs and then read it.

"N88" isn't obvious and may be hard to find information about. It should be the mounting threads' diameter in mm. Measure to check, I could be mistaken.

Likewise for "Q1." It means "export grade."

Google DDR, also BRD. You might as well learn what both mean. I take it you were hatched after the wall came down. Sorry, if that's the case you won't know which wall. Berlin wall. Google "Carl Zeiss Jena" too.

And don't type "lol." Makes you look like a giggling idiot drowning in his own slobber. Unless, of course, that's how you want us to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    You can find some information in the article I wrote on CZJ lenses some years ago, in the article section on my web site: http://www.arnecroell.com/articles
    Arne, you are too kind.

RE: N88 - The "N" stands for Normalfassung, i.e. a barrel mount, and the thread is 88mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Arne, you are too kind.
    Dan, you are too unkind; but I understand your angle.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    I hope 24" of draw will focus this puppy, lol
    It's a 300mm lens. So, you will need approximately 300mm (a little under 12") to focus at infinity. With 24" of bellows, you could even do 1:1 close ups.

Kerry

The lens came from a “Globic" camera as referenced in the Link (arnecroell.com/czj1.pdf) Thanks Dan Fromm for the link.

In the future I will try to feed myself, that is if I can get the spoon to my mouth without first filling it with slobber. A man cannot live on slobber alone. Wait, maybe I was supposed to address the reference, "Idiot", I am confused, correction my pea brain just comprehended, I am an Idiot who slobbers. Perception is reality they say.

I never imagined three little letters would elicit a such a response. View me as you will, I did try and research. I guess I better utilize all available information in the future before coming here, even if it requires me to purchase materials, drive to a library, contact a museum, or just PM nice people who dont view me an a slobbering Idiot.

I am new to Large format, I am still cutting my teeth so to speak. I was just curious about the specific lens and after numerous searches on Google, DogPile, Yahoo, ectt. I thought it safe to ask the question here.

Why in forums do the new guys get looked down upon by some senior members. I am no cherry to forum boards. Believe it for not I am respected at more than a few. I even help people that are trying to understand. I also do it in a friendly manor or I dont bother to respond at all.

You know, this type of thing is what causes some people to refrain from ever being an active member. They lurk and leave. I was a lurker for quite some time here. It's a good think I am not so sensitive or I might go slobber by myself. One thing for sure, I wont ever LOL here again. LOL!

Well, brother LOL, since you asked I'll try to reply. Some of us old curmudgeons read sprawling questions such as the one that started this thread as evidence the questioner hasn't tried to find answers itself. Sometimes we're right, sometimes we're not. If I was mistaken about you, I regret any inconvenience ...

You say "after numerous searches ..." Is that so? In other words, I doubt you. I searched and found, have trouble imagining that you searched and didn't find. Google treats everyone pretty much the same.

To keep us old coots from, um, sniping at you, simply say "I searched and couldn't find a good answer to this question" when asking a question. That'll convince us that you're a serious person, not a young bird begging to be stuffed with partially digested bugs and worms.

I recommended you buy a book on old lenses because if you're going to chase the fool things its a much better guide than you'll get by asking poorly posed questions. In general a good book contains more information than posts on a bulletin board. And a good book is a much safer source of information for people who haven't yet learned to tell excrement from shoe polish than posts on a bulletin board. If you can afford a big Tessar you should be able to find $15 for Mr. Colucci.

Globus or Globic camera?

ROTFLPIP,

Dan

And Nate Potter, since I'm in the same town with you, you are welcome to email me at ACC Photo Technology.

lynn@austincc.edu

Lynn