Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the best scanning service in the country

the best scanning service in the country

hey guys. i shoot large format (4x5) transparencies and am wanting to find the best scanning service available for large (400MB) scans for lightjet and other p rints. do any experienced digital printers out there have recommendations? cos t is no object, as long as the scans are individually calibrated and ultra-high quality. thoughts?

~chris jordan, seattle

Nancyscans. Excellent reputation.

Just once I want to poll here and say "cost is no object"!

West Coast Imaging (www.westcoastimaging) seems to have a good reputation in this forum. They use the Heidelberg Tango drum scanner.

I have had two 4x5 transparencies scanned at 300MB, and the results are magnificent. Every piece of information has been pulled from the trannies. I will continue to send scans to them.

I would honestly have to say that West Coast Imaging has a superb reputation for scanning. Perhaps the premier group in the country (USA).

Mike

Re: the best scanning service in the country

Guys

As a provider of quality drum scans, this is why large scans are more expensive than small ones from the same sized film.

The scanner is tied up longer, sometimes a lot, lot longer. So fewer scans can be made in a given time.

The whole workflow is longer and when adjustment layers are used the files can easily get to around 4Gs when working in 16bit.

The time spent pixel cloning is greatly increased as the smallest speck of dust or defrect in the film shows up. Consider say a 4000ppi file from a 4x5 giving a file of around 900MB in 8bit. This will take about 195 screens to check and spot, against with say a 100MB file producing 12 screens of picture information.

Computers that can handle such files sensibly do not come cheap so another reason for charging more for producing large files.

I hope this is of interest.

Cheers

Richard

This is such a subjective question, what is the best to one, might be the worst to another, good luck in your quest.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    This is such a subjective question, what is the best to one, might be the worst to another

Wrong.

Poorly done scans are a nightmare. No subjectivity required. Bad is bad. I do agree, however, that among the recognized high-end, it may be a matter of opinion.

I have used nancy scans and have always been satisfied. Sure wish they did not have an extra for 8 x 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
    Wrong.

Poorly done scans are a nightmare. No subjectivity required. Bad is bad. I do agree, however, that among the recognized high-end, it may be a matter of opinion.
    I am not wrong, what some consider good is considered bad by others, good scanning services are a very subjective opinionated business, that is why I won't make a recommendation...I found so much variance in scanning services, that I set up my own drum, so I could consistently get the quality that I was happy with, asking which scanning service is best, is the same as trying to ascertain, what camera is the best, it is a purely subjective opinion of those who pay for the service...so how many more times are you going to stay pissed off at me, because I told you that you were wrong the other day about the dark slides?

Dave