Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighting with umbrella

Re: Lighting with umbrella

Frank,

Don't you find that a smaller umbrella is even more specular? I've always had that reaction and tend to go toward the larger (softer) in spite of space even though that risks more spill. Agreed with closer the better, especially as that works with the closer is softer effect.

Tom, are you using any sort of reflector to help balance your highlight to shadow ratio? If not, almost anything can be used from a white or ecru pillow case, to a sheet of white poster board, or a panel of styro foam. Then again, those pop out reflectors are very convenient and the gold side is wonderful to add warmth to skin tones. That will help, even if you continue to use silver.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Tim,
    I'm using a windscreen shield. The silver reflective thing you put on it when it's very hot. It's OK but I'd like to get something bigger.

Edit, whoops I said silver again!
    Last edited by Tom J McDonald; 29-May-2011 at 22:49. Reason: More info!

Smaller would be less spill. I actually use a small 24" silver for head shots but I light people harshly on purpose, I doubt it would fly with most mainstream customers and the retouching would be a pain....

In general the getting the source as close as possible and adding gobos is the key.

Frank Petronio,
    Thanks for the advice. I had a look at your FLASH website. Please let me know how you lit Alysha in the SFW section. I like the light and it's similar to what I'm getting at the moment. Would you consider it harsher than normal?

Thanks.
    Tom.

Two factors affect the softness of your source: diameter of source and distance of source to subject. Two sources, one large and one small, can both appear to be of the same light quality when they subtend the same angle when viewed from the subject (i.e. the larger source is further away). You can think of a broad source as an array of point sources where each one has a distance from the subject that varies by pythagorean theorem, and hence varies in intensity by inverse square law. Do the math and look at what happens to the ratio of brightness from center to edge when the source is close vs. far away. Bottom line, for soft light get the broad source close to the subject.

Downstairs

Have a look, in google books, at "Lighting Techniques for Low Key Portrait Photography" by Norman Phillips.
    He explains how a deep umbrella keeps things under control.
    I find that an umbrella feathers nicely, both background and near foreground, when the lamphead is placed within the edges of the brolly, and is pointed across rather than down at the subject.

That recent photo of Alysha I think you refer too is obscenely harsh to me and most photographers, and only because she has a really strong self-image and natural beauty can I get away with it ;-) You won't have many happy subjects if you light them that way but it's all art, right? It's also exposed and printed differently, normally she would have larger burnt out areas if done traditionally, you'd toss it as a mistake.

All I did was put a very bright light into a small silver umbrella immediate to her side. She was close enough to the background that it feathered-spilled enough to boost it too. I like one-lighters, I don't care to light the background separately unless I have a studio where I can pull back far enough that the subject can have 10 feet or so of separation. But in that picture's case it was very close in a small room, as you do too.

Of course you could simple walk the light forward and get more of her face lit, then diffuse the light (shoot through something) or bounce it off a wall or white board, etc. and this would be more pleasing and normal to most people.

Use a Polaroid or digital to preview until you're happy. Use a patient stand-in. Experiment.

Also I endorse and follow everything CJ Broadbent says, he is the absolute master of lighting and most other things photographic ;-) Finding some deep umbrellas would be really nice, I should get on that, they would work nicely.

I agree that most people think the lights need to be overhead... they don't. Level with the head is just fine. Watch what the shadow off the nose is doing, the eye in shade, that will make or break it. Expose for the highlights.

Finally, I grew up using strobes, Chimeras (softboxes). Most people use them. They work well but it gets really boring after 20 years to still do the same old thing. Umbrellas and boards and walls are really versatile, inexpensive, and full of enough potential and variation as to keep me occupied forever so soft boxes are banned (unless it is a commercial job and I have to rent and do something more vanilla).

Frank Petronio, thanks for all the advice. I like the defined edges of your lighting and don't really think it's obscenely harsh. Maybe I just don't know enough. Did you use a reflector?
    I have been experimenting with my cranky girlfriend (she's 39 weeks pregnant) every day. I am getting there.

Thanks to all, maybe I should post some pictures soon.

No reflectors and fill are for pussies, be decisive!

Got ya!