Thread: Camera Maintenance

Camera Maintenance

Very curious as to what different methods you all use to keep your camera working well. What kind of lubricants to use on the gears etc. and things of that nature.

Re: Camera Maintenance

I follow the recommendations posted on Ken Hough's Deardorff Historical Website on my mahogany 'dorff, however I would think it would apply to any woody,basically calling for thick Lubriplate on the metal to metal bearing surfaces and candymaker's wax (I substitute pure beeswax since I can find candymaker's wax locally) on the wood to wood bearing surfaces, with a good paste wax (I use Butcher's Wax or carnuba) for general protection against the weather. Bellows depends on the material thay are made out of, of course. Bright metal just gets wiped down with a cloth diaper as metal polish can migrate underneath the fittings and rot the wood from underneath.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

That is camera dependent.

When I bought my new (used, but almost unused as it sat in storage for a few years) Linhof TK I sent it straight away to Marflex for a CLA and check.

Barring accidents or sandstorms, I figure I'm good to go for quite a long time.

If you have a manual for your camera, I'd follow the maintenance directions provided by the manufacturer.