Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best place to sell equipment?

best place to sell equipment?

I have recently realized that large format just wasn't my style, and I am going to sell off my (brand new) equipment. What a shame.

Is eBay the best place to sell, or something like photo.net or this forum?

For those who might be interested I have the following:

Canham DLC 45 (new, used 1 month) Rodenstock APO-Sironar S 210mm f5.6 (new, used 1 month) Zone VI modified Pentax digital spot meter (new, used 2 weeks) 4 Lisco 4x5 holders (new, never used) Polaroid 545i holder (new, used 1 month) Fuji Quickload holder (new, used 1 month) Btzs dark cloth for 4x5 camera Zone VI dark cloth

This forum is not the place. Ebay and photo.net. Note that this large format website links to both. -jb

If you sell on eBay, list all the items separately for the best price.

As Dan says, one month is a pretty short time. What's not working for you?

Hard for some large format people to comprehend ....that for many people it's not the right tool for the job or the soul....dont feel right..isnt a Leica too be sure!!!! Right Dan!!!! Anyway that said... If I were you I would keep the camera unless you need the money.... because you will kick yourself later on when you may need large format for those big beautiful prints that the smaller formats can't provide.Also as a stimulus for inspiration when you are tired of the other formats.

I am really taking what you all have said to heart.

I shoot landscapes. Most of my frustration lies in a few areas: my lack of space at our home to develop and print sheet film (we live in the Bay Area, and square footage is at a premium). I wanted to do B&W work, and an enlarger at home is out of the question. So, digital printing, right? But you just cannot get that great silver print look with digital. Ok, let's go back to color film. Every time I shoot an image, the film cost + processing is almost $6 per shot. Ouch.

Ok, then work with a roll film back to reduce the cost. Then comes my second frustration: wind. It is really really windy in the SF Bay Area, and maybe I don't have the patience or proper equipment (Bogen 3221 with a Linhof Profi II ball head that I use for my 35mm gear). Anyway, I am finding out that I am not shooting enough shots these days. I tend to bring out my 35mm gear, fearingI fear that I will get a few more lenses, only to figure out the same frustrations.

Maybe I just need to be talked out of this one. I am signed up for a 'making a better negative' class next month, and will be using zone system techniques. Should be fun.

If I shot product or portraits, I would have a better excuse for hanging it up, right? Landscapes really need that detail and continuous tones. I guess I need to get inspired again by picking up my newly arrived 'Large Format' magazine. Viva Steve Simmons.

I know next to nothing about digital, but when you pick up the latest issue of View Camera, take a look at George DeWolfe's piece on digital printing. If you don't have room for a darkroom --right now or ever-- the new digital capabilities he discusses may be an answer for you to enjoy large format capabilities and advantages and the cost may be less than equipping a darkroom. You obviously already have a computer, so you're on your way. Best of luck.

I'm with the others- DON'T DO IT YET!!! When I first started shooing 4x5, I was hooked instantly and never regretted the move. However, a year ago when I sunk $2500+ into a Deardorff 8x10, Ries tripod, lens, etc, the positive reaction wasn't exactly immediate. It took me at least 3 months to really start to get used to the new format and enjoy it. After about the first month with it, I was seriously contemplating selling off what I had bought and using the money for new medium format stuff. I got talked out of it, and I'm glad. At this point not only am I enjoying shooting 8x10 an incredible amount, I'm using it more than any other format. My message is this- stick with it and wait a few months longer at very least before you make your decision on large format. You never know how things will change, and if it turns out to be something you enjoy and want to continue, you'll find a way to make it work, guaranteed.

Andy, I'll second everything that's been said already, DON'T SELL!! If you're really having so much trouble, then pack your LF gear away and only shoot 35mm for a few weeks, then go back to your LF and try it again! As for space restrictions, I print in a converted room that is 5 1/2 feet by 3 feet by 8 feet high, and still houses the toilet and sink!! I wall mounted the enlarger and constructed a work surface that fits above the toilet. I am able to print all formats from 35mm to 5x4 and can print 5x4 to 16x20 without having to drop the easel. My prints are developed in a Nova vertical processor and prints are taken in a tray to the kitchen to be washed in a Nova washer. There are times when I long for a bigger room, but when the print comes out of that wash I am just grateful to have a darkroom!! I just remember the conditions/equipment that some great photographers endured and thank my lucky stars!! Give it a go! You may surprise yourself! Best of luck Paul PS I'm not into DIY, but such a conversion is well within the reach of anyone with even the most basic skills.

I live in a tiny 1-bedroom in Manhattan, so I feel your frustration with the space issue, but I black out the window in the bathroom and print there. I have a small enlarger that handles my 35mm and MF work that I bring in and out for printing sessions, and I contact print my 8x10" negs. You could contact print for now, and when you have an image you really want to enlarge, consider renting darkroom space. You've got enough sun out there to consider platinum/palladium or POP as well. If you're short on space for the "wet side," you can get a tray ladder to stack darkroom trays stepwise. For 4x5" negs, a daylight tank is also an option.

The wind can be tough (I found this out flying the 8x10" box kite in Hawai'i), but it can be managed as well. You can eventually learn to shield the camera with your body, or bring an umbrella. Much of it is just being patient and waiting for the wind to settle.

Hi Andy, wind can be a pain alright. It was often windy in the intermountain region where I began using LF, that's around Yakima and Ellensburg WA. After sitting up a shot I would wrap my bellows in my dark cloth to weight them against vibration, and then I shielded the camera with an umbrella. I don't know if these precautions worked, but I got some good images. As for cramped quarters, don't all darkrooms have stoves and refrigerators? Best, David