Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our definitionS of 'portrait'

Our definitionS of 'portrait'

Okay. I'm asking for a reality check for myself.

Having at one time owned a successful and award winning portrait studio (big whoop), one of my favorite threads is always the monthly portraits section.

Some of the work here is spectacular. Much of it I look at as simply people snapshots that just happen to have been taken on large format film.

But, I look at that last statement with recognition that it is from a narrowly focused and possibly even arrogant point of view. Namely, that of someone who has a big case of hero worship for the like of George Hurrell, Phillipe Halsman, Karsh and the like; all of whom devoted tremendous energy toward the creativity and personality in each image and how the structure of the lighting is used to draw the viewer's attention into that all important element "the eyes are the window to the soul" .

So, what I want to find out is what is everyone's definition of what a portrait is. Is it just a face or person in the field of view regardless of structure or image quality, or should there be elements of design, controlled lighting, meaningful expression, and at least a reasonable attempt at conveyance of the personality of the subject.

In short, what to you, defines what a portrait is?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: Our definitionS of 'portrait'

A personality captured.

I once saw a strain of DNA in the National Portrait Gallery - London.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    So, what I want to find out is what is everyone's definition of what a portrait is.
    <snip>
    In short, what to you, defines what a portrait is?
    The monthly portrait threads are my favorite too. Everyone's definition is probably different. I'll start with mine, as it is very simple. A portrait, in my mind, portrays a person or persons. This isn't limited, as it could be a photograph, a painting, etc. Just like a car could be a Yugo or a Bugatti, a car is just a four wheeled vehicle to transport people. They have the same basic function regardless of how fast or how pretty.
    There are individual portraits, family portraits, group portraits, environmental portraits, glamour portraits, etc. They all do the same thing: they portray people. The artistic part of it shows in the end result. Why define it? Just to stir up debate? If you're making a photo for a paying customer, family member or whoever, your goal should be to please the target audience. If it's you, then just make what makes you happy. I have a broad range of interests, so I'm not limited to a particular style of portrait.
    Simple.

If someone calls it a portrait, it is a portrait. Then it is up to the viewer to decide if it is a good portrait or not.

It must be upright, or else it's a people-landscape.

The last three- cdh, Vaughn, Ash, who seems to be in puckish form today

"Why define it? Just to stir up debate?"

Actually CD, yes I am encouraging debate in the sense that I am curious about our individual motivations in making a "portrait" and both what level of creative quality is desired or desirable, and what level of engagement with the subject encourages and produces what darr very eloquently describes as "a personality captured".

As I said, some of the work here is inspired and spectacular, while much of the other is not.

I also want to be clear that "style" isn't the issue as I love Gandolfi's work and Frank Petrino's style (both are stunning) every bit as much as Hurrell and the others I've mentioned even though the styles are wildly divergent. It's the way that, for me anyway, there is just no communication in a big percentage of the images and that is what makes me want to be educated to what "portrait" means to each of us.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I define it as a picture of:

any human life (irrespective of state - currently living or formerly living),

or animal life (except domesticated felines),

or any 3-dimensional representation of the aforementioned...

in any format, media or visual orientation.

A picture of a 2-D representation of any of the aforementioned is just a copy of a portrait.

I just figured it was a place to post pictures of people in general, as the landscape and architecture threads are similarly broad and loose in practice. Plus we have everything from someone's first attempts all the way through anther person's 100,000th.