Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: information on powder flash?

Re: information on powder flash?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    ... I have been repeatedly surprised in the last few years at how our society has changed regarding the public availability of photo related chemistry and lab supplies...
    Oh how true this is, and this has really been in the past 10 years. In 2000, I walked into a lab supply store and bought 200g of iodine, 60g of bromine, and 500g of mercury, and no one batted an eye. Today, it is near impossible to do so without the proper forms and a commercial account. The lab stores tell me Both HI and HBr can be used to make meth, an so they won't sell it without the runaround. Of course, it is simple enough to make your own iodine or bromine from KI or KBr.

It is however easy enough to by a water distiller, small ones are available locally or the web. Large alcohol stills might be more difficult, but I am pretty sure they are not illegal. There is a small shop near me that makes custom copper stills.

...and of course, with the insane profitability of any banned substance, the "cooks" still manage, while we law abiding folks suffer.

I really hate for that to be my first post here...

Jason, it was Race Gentry who uses flashlamps. I contacted him not 2 months ago about an AGFA flashlamp I was thinking of buying. Video of him shooting one here: http://photokaboom.photogrowth.com/2...-photogra.html

And don't listen to the heavy breathers that say not to use it. If you feel like learning how to use it safely, it should be no more dangerous than shooting black powder muzzle loaders. In America we still have the right to the pursuit of happiness, and any FBI or ATF guy would have to really have a lot of time on his hands to even ask, and then would see it's just a hobby.

As a former OSHA trainer and muzzle loader, I did notice Race was doing a couple things less safely. First, you should pour the powder from your source bottle into a measuring ladle, then use that to fill the pan. Not fill directly from source bottle to pan, since the pan may have smoldering sparks from your previous shot. Having a bottle full of powder go off in your hand wouldn't be fun. Secondly, you should use a long handled paddle to spread the powder...not your fingers!
    Last edited by goamules; 27-May-2011 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Jason, it was Race Gentry who used flashlamp.... I did notice Race was doing a couple things less safely...
    "Less safely" is a lovely understatement. I can think of a few more apt adjectives.

I found an old tin of flash powder in my father's box o' miscellaneous photo junk when I was a teen. He let me use some to take a photo in the basement and it's a little scary in an enclosed space, not least because of the acrid cloud of smoke produced. I'd advise using it only outside or when any kids/womenfolk/sensible people will be out of the house for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Now I don't know if this is practical or not, but around the 4th of July in my town it is legal to buy and use safe and sane fireworks. A real bright one is called "Lightning Flash" and gives about five seconds of strobe light. Pack of six is under five dollars.

Possessing and using these kinds of flash, unmodified and as directed, shouldn't attract any undue attention.
    There are many counties near your county which prohibit even "safe and sane" fireworks. Personally I don't see the point in sane fireworks and would much prefer the insane type, but nevertheless, using flash powder or those fireworks you describe in public is going to attract attention and some of that attention may be from public safety officials who tell you to cease and desist. They might actually cut you more slack with flash powder in a pan instead of some pre-manufactured "fireworks".

Flash bulbs and strobes were invented for a reason though, and elimination of uncertainty, faster response time, avoidance of choking smoke and increased safety have been reasons enough for the market to abandon flash powder as soon as it was possible. Going back to powder would be an exercise in fun, rather than almost anything else.

Hi Jack,

Of course, I meant to use them exactly as designed, where permitted and allowed, and just "happen" to be taking pictures at the same time. For simplest example pictures of kids illuminated by sparklers.

well, I checked the law, and you must buy the ingredients separately (unsafe to ship otherwise)
    without a pyrotechnics license, the legal amount of EACH chemical that can be purchased each year is 16 ounces. this only applies to oxidizers such as the potassium perchlorate. the magnesium is unlimited purchase.

oh and fireworks use finely powdered aluminum instead of magnesium.
    16oz of potassium perchlorate is good for 160 flashes. without a pyrotechnics license.

unitednuclear.com supplies both magnesium and potassium perchlorate
    while I do find strobes incredibly useful, I find that they do their best work in the studio. I just haven't been as pleased by small portable strobes. nor really those studio monolights that have the light sensor sync thing.
    I figured I might as well experiment with some older photographic processes.
    and I was going to combine trying to make my own plates (liquid emulsion, maybe wetplate) and some really slow speed fine art film with the powder flash.

You probably have your heart set on using flash powder, but don't be too quick to dismiss flashbulbs.

I just shot a large group with dual Graflex flashes on a Crown Graphic. Each of the Press 50 bulbs have a guide number of 440(!). Look into NOS (New Old Stock) flashbulbs on ebay. They run $1-2 USD each and the flash handles are available for reasonable prices now that all the Jedi Knights are refraining from turning every last one of them into a light saber.

Come on, let him have his fun!

What's the worse that could happen? This?