Thread: 32X96" Large format print - mounting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

32X96" Large format print - mounting

I'm looking for a service that can mount my 32X96" photograph onto 1" gatorboard with 2" of gutter space around edges.

Ideas?

Re: 32X96" Large format print - mounting

Where are you based? I assume you'll want to have this done locally since shipping will be pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    Where are you based? I assume you'll want to have this done locally since shipping will be pricey.
    North Dakota

I'll be in Minneapolis July 10-14th so I could make something happen there too.

-S

Gatorboard comes in 8 ft lengths , not sure about longer therefore you need to downsize image to 92 to get space you are looking for.
    One inch gatorboard at this size will be pretty pricey, Most large photo labs can handle this type of cold mount, some would do it hot, but I think you are looking for a cold mount shop.
    Is the 2 inch border to be shown??? If so I would recommend putting the white or black border on the print with generous bleed, rather than hope the mounters will get precision 2inch border. This will allow a possibility of cutting down after mount to even out your borders.
    As the substrate and paper move through the rollers to make the contact there is some tracking which once started is non reversable.The amount of error could be in fractions of an inch but visually this error would be apparent. You could be opening yourself to some issues here, specifically if you are going to supply the print for mounting.
    All shops in my area would not take on this job unless you are prepared to replace the print at your cost as well if there are errors you will be asked absorb the cost of the extra gator board needed.
    As Noah states , location is important as shipping this print will be impossible or extremely pricey, you would need to hire a service like Pac Art to make sure this mount is not damaged and I can tell you they are very pricey but worth the money in certain cases.
    good luck with this.

Quote Originally Posted by frankrizzo View Post
    I'm looking for a service that can mount my 32X96" photograph onto 1" gatorboard with 2" of gutter space around edges.

Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Gatorboard comes in 8 ft lengths , not sure about longer therefore you need to downsize image to 92 to get space you are looking for.
    One inch gatorboard at this size will be pretty pricey, Most large photo labs can handle this type of cold mount, some would do it hot, but I think you are looking for a cold mount shop.
    Is the 2 inch border to be shown??? If so I would recommend putting the white or black border on the print with generous bleed, rather than hope the mounters will get precision 2inch border. This will allow a possibility of cutting down after mount to even out your borders.
    As the substrate and paper move through the rollers to make the contact there is some tracking which once started is non reversable.The amount of error could be in fractions of an inch but visually this error would be apparent. You could be opening yourself to some issues here, specifically if you are going to supply the print for mounting.
    All shops in my area would not take on this job unless you are prepared to replace the print at your cost as well if there are errors you will be asked absorb the cost of the extra gator board needed.
    As Noah states , location is important as shipping this print will be impossible or extremely pricey, you would need to hire a service like Pac Art to make sure this mount is not damaged and I can tell you they are very pricey but worth the money in certain cases.
    good luck with this.
    The 2" bleed is for matting space. It's a 96" print but trimmed to 92".

I got a resource from here for gator board at http://www.artsupply.com/foamcore/gatorboardsheets.htm that has the sheets I want.

It's about $400 in materials so that's why I want it done by someone else that knows how to do it right the first time.

I personally use a Codamount cold mounting system for items this size. Ill echo Bobs comments as to alignment and will throw in one extra caution. Although matte papers for the most part will no trap air or possibly hide any entraped air, if this is a print on semigloss, luster or glossy paper- air bubbles in the final mount are a real concern. Gator board although relatively flat compared to other backing media does have slight dips in the surface and all the pressure in the world is not going to fill them in- the result is trapped air which cannot be removed. I find it extrememly distracting and noticeable and have never found a way to get rid of it without ruining the print. Even a pin prick to release the air doesnt seem to do the trick as the paper just wont stretch enough to fill in the area of the void. For this reason, I typically avoid mounts of this type for prints on those types of papers and stick with a simple hinge mounting system instead.

Quote Originally Posted by eric black View Post
    I personally use a Codamount cold mounting system for items this size. Ill echo Bobs comments as to alignment and will throw in one extra caution. Although matte papers for the most part will no trap air or possibly hide any entraped air, if this is a print on semigloss, luster or glossy paper- air bubbles in the final mount are a real concern. Gator board although relatively flat compared to other backing media does have slight dips in the surface and all the pressure in the world is not going to fill them in- the result is trapped air which cannot be removed. I find it extrememly distracting and noticeable and have never found a way to get rid of it without ruining the print. Even a pin prick to release the air doesnt seem to do the trick as the paper just wont stretch enough to fill in the area of the void. For this reason, I typically avoid mounts of this type for prints on those types of papers and stick with a simple hinge mounting system instead.
    You have a web example?

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Matrix in Indianapolis