Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: August 20th Dallas / Fort Worth LF outing

Re: August 20th Dallas / Fort Worth LF outing

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Young View Post
    The meet was fantastic. Thank you Ty and Tina for hosting this event. Seeing JB and Susan Harlan's photographs alone would have been worth the trip. The opportunity to see the craftsmanship in Both Ty and JB's camera making was also worth the trip by itself. The best part though was meeting all of you. I am so sorry I had to arrive late and leave early but my kids come first and my daughter needed a car because she will be commuting to UT starting next week and with the goofy car lot laws in Texas I only had a couple of hours to do what should have taken a week. Also, the heat was really bothering me. It is 63 here this morning and I again feel normal. I would have enjoyed a whole day with all of you.

I was amazed at the quality of joinery that Ty has been able to achieve. Next time you look at one of Mr. Guillory's cameras, take a peek at where the frame members join. There are absolutely no voids, out of square conditions, gaps, gouges, dents or anything beside square, tight fitting and accurate hairline glue joints. And I saw zero evidence of filler of any kind. This is truly world class woodworking. Being a serious woodworker, the first thing I look at is the joinery. I have seen work from many famous woodworkers including Duncan Phyfe, Sam Maloof, Roy Underhill and many others. None were superior to what I saw in Ty's joinery on Saturday. Mine certainly is not even close.

Susan, your vision is incredible. I was moved over and over again as we looked through your photographs. Same with JB. You are both a national treasure. Thank you for bringing your albums. I am ordering the stuff to start making Pyrocatechol developers next week. The beautiful tonal range you two have attained is something I aspire to. And such blacks! I swore up and down for decades that there was no reason to ever switch from D76 and Dektol which I mix from bulk chemicals, but by the third of Susan's prints I knew that was all over.

Thank you for allowing me to visit your group.
    Barry, it was a pleasure meeting you. Glad you could make it. Bummer the weather didn't cooperate. Maybe you can come back sometime when it is cooler. I appreciate your kind words. I always enjoying sharing my photographs with anyone that I can corner.

Re: August 20th Dallas / Fort Worth LF outing

Quote Originally Posted by Ty G View Post
    Thanks all for the kind words and emails since the meet. I'm glad all had a good time. It was a blast meeting and visiting with everyone. Kyle had a blast as well. And, yes those images that JB & Susan brought were amazing.

Mike, hey nice avatar !
    Ty, thanks for providing us with an opportunity to meet you and your family and see your work. And thanks for the kind words.