Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: August 20th Dallas / Fort Worth LF outing

August 20th Dallas / Fort Worth LF outing

On Saturday, August 20 we will head east to meet Ty Guillory out on his ranch in Mineola.

Ty is one of only two craftsmen still making wet plate cameras.

Although there will not be time to see him mix the chemicals and prepare the plates, we will see how the camera is used to capture a couple of images and how the plates are then developed and varnished.

Once the demo is done and we have spent time in the workshop learning about the wet plate camera, we will enjoy burgers and hot dogs and then have an opportunity to photograph on Ty's 25 acre property.

Ty would love some of us to photograph his family on Large Format as this has never been done before. Consider this our contribution to a fun-filled outing.

Ty's cameras are historically correct, built from plans from the George Eastman House Museum of Photography. Many of us saw the special on PBS a few months ago about Ty and his studio.

Mineola is about 2-1/4 hours east of Fort Worth, 1-1/2 hours from Dallas on US 80.

We are limited to 12 photographers due to the size of the studio where Ty builds his cameras. Please RSVP by e-mailing me directly at: michael@kan.com.

As soon as we reach 12 participants, I will place additional names on a waiting list in case there are any cancellations. Again, RSVP only through e-mail not by posting on this thread! Directions (and caravan point of departure for those who want to ride in a group) will be e-mailed to you closer to August 20th.

Here are some great links that JB Harlin found of photographer Luther Garlach using wet plate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JuuCDXR6-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-d8...layer_embedded

Two more gatherings are in the planning stage - stay tuned.

For our Pilot Point, July 30th get-together see this page:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=76413

4x5 Is So Small. . . J.B. Harlin's Avatar

Re: August 20th Dallas / Fort Worth LF outing

Looking forward to this one Michael. . . I want to see his wood working shop and I am very curious about wet plate. . . this will be fun!!!

JB, you guys aren't the only ones looking forward to this!
    Nine of the spots have been reserved in this short time!

Quote Originally Posted by msk2193 View Post
    Very cool, I'm in if I can be. Maybe I can demo wet plate for you guys before we go out if I get around to mixing up chems.

I am curious about this, though:

I can think of 3 off of the top of my head (in addition to Ty).

Jeremy,

These were not Ty's words, they were grabbed from some site. Could be he is one of two who build to the old designs?
    In any case, he's the only one I know to host us in the Dallas area!!!!

Jeremy,

These were not Ty's words, they were grabbed from some site. Could be he is one of two who build to the old designs?
    In any case, he's the only one I know to host us in the Dallas area!!!!
    . . .and we appreciate him doing this!!!

Oh, I didn't think Ty said that based on everything I've read related to him and his cameras - sounds like PR speak

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    Maybe I can demo wet plate for you guys before we go out if I get around to mixing up chems.

That would be cool!

Hello Texans:

I will be visiting my children in Texas from 8-18 to 8-20. I have RSVP'd and hopefully there is room for a yankee among you.

For those of you who do not know me, I am a camera maker like many of you. For the last twenty plus years, I have been educating myself on how to manufacture ULF and panoramic photo equipment from raw materials. Eventually, the plan is that some of the things I am making will be for sale. Currently (and for too many years) I am building a 7x17 wooden field camera. This sounds like a pretty easy thing to do, unless like me, you decide to start by becoming a machinist. Making photo gear was definitely on my mind when I chose to go to school for four years to become a Journeman Machinist. Then, it takes longer still if you design and build your own CNC milling machine just to make camera parts. Starting from scratch, building a wood and metal working shop on a tight budget also takes time. A couple of years went by trying to make film holders which are light tight. I now have 18 finished film holders except for a truly light tight, not light resistant, light trap. Life has happened a lot. Now I am in the right place at the right time with the right technology to make something happen.

Some of you may have heard of my books. I wrote Modern Bellowsmaking and 8X10 Camera Plans while babysitting a huge 4 axis CNC horizontal milling machine making the forged titanium aft booms and side of bodies for the F22 fighter jet.

Now I teach the Machinist program at Bates Technical College here in Tacoma Washington.

Hopefully there is room for me at your meeting since I would really like to meet others who build cameras.

Barry Young
    Tacoma, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Young View Post
    Hello Texans:

I will be visiting my children in Texas from 8-18 to 8-20. I have RSVP'd and hopefully there is room for a yankee among you.

For those of you who do not know me, I am a camera maker like many of you. For the last twenty plus years, I have been educating myself on how to manufacture ULF and panoramic photo equipment from raw materials. Eventually, the plan is that some of the things I am making will be for sale. Currently (and for too many years) I am building a 7x17 wooden field camera. This sounds like a pretty easy thing to do, unless like me, you decide to start by becoming a machinist. Making photo gear was definitely on my mind when I chose to go to school for four years to become a Journeman Machinist. Then, it takes longer still if you design and build your own CNC milling machine just to make camera parts. Starting from scratch, building a wood and metal working shop on a tight budget also takes time. A couple of years went by trying to make film holders which are light tight. I now have 18 finished film holders except for a truly light tight, not light resistant, light trap. Life has happened a lot. Now I am in the right place at the right time with the right technology to make something happen.

Some of you may have heard of my books. I wrote Modern Bellowsmaking and 8X10 Camera Plans while babysitting a huge 4 axis CNC horizontal milling machine making the forged titanium aft booms and side of bodies for the F22 fighter jet.

Now I teach the Machinist program at Bates Technical College here in Tacoma Washington.

Hopefully there is room for me at your meeting since I would really like to meet others who build cameras.

Barry Young
    Tacoma, WA
    What part of Texas are you coming too?