Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo stitching software

Photo stitching software

Greetings...

Using CS2 I did a photomerge of 4 landscape images trying to consolidate a mountain into one landscape image. Shooting from one location left to right. It merged fairly well to marry the peaks (foreground is good)together but falls apart in the center of the photomerge. Is there an inexpensive plug-in or can you provide some guidance.

Thanks.

Re: Photo stitching software

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    Greetings...

Using CS2 I did a photomerge of 4 landscape images trying to consolidate a mountain into one landscape image. Shooting from one location left to right. It merged fairly well to marry the peaks (foreground is good)together but falls apart in the center of the photomerge. Is there an inexpensive plug-in or can you provide some guidance.

Thanks.
    Try Hugin - it's free.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

You didn't mention if you were shooting off a pano head. That would help you a lot. There are several manufacturers of heads out there. I use Nodal Ninja.

I think that, in my opinion, the best stitching software and attending hardware is Kolor. Not inexpensive however.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    You didn't mention if you were shooting off a pano head. That would help you a lot. There are several manufacturers of heads out there. I use Nodal Ninja.

I think that, in my opinion, the best stitching software and attending hardware is Kolor. Not inexpensive however.
    Autopano Pro (Kolor) is what I use, along with a RSS pano head. The Nodal Ninja is good, too. Get a Nodal Ninja and Autopano Pro for, what? $250?

--Darin

Having tried all the free software the only one I've found that works easily and reliably is Microsoft ICE.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Autopano Pro (Kolor) is what I use, along with a RSS pano head. The Nodal Ninja is good, too. Get a Nodal Ninja and Autopano Pro for, what? $250?

--Darin

I agree that Autopano Pro is a very good option and a 100 times more powerful than the photomerge option of Photoshop! Autopano Giga is what I use. In the rare circumstance that something does not stitch quite right, try checking the option to treat the lens as a fisheye. That sometimes works wonders for some unknown reason. One can use a free download trial version to test things out.

Another great option is PTGui.

Asher

Another vote for Hugin. It gives you more control over the final look of the pano than Photoshop's PhotoMerge function.

Greetings to all..Many thanks for response to stitching software. Will try.

I've been using PTGui for quite a while now with excellent results. FWIW - just a couple of days ago I processed this 40 shot pano taken with a DSLR - I had shot it a couple years ago and forgot about it. Can't see much in the post, but it stitched perfectly.

Dan

I'll put in two votes, since that's the system we use down here ;-)

1. Free and hugely capable, try Hugin. There's a raft of articles and tutorials that can take you through everything from stitching "tiles" to doing spheres.
    2. If you don't mind spending €100 or so, Autopano Pro is really good. You can usually leave it to do its own thing, but if that fails, you've still got full manual control. It's quite a bit quicker on my iMac than Hugin.