• 8) “The more people, the better!”

4 7.69%
  • 9) “My only critic is me.”

17 32.69%
  • 10) Other: (please share!)

3 5.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your favorite “go-to” people when you’re looking for criticism of your work

Re: Your favorite “go-to” people when you’re looking for criticism of your work

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    I'm my own worst critic.
    I’m always curious if “worst” means “least helpful,” or “least nice.” ;^)

I’m sure it means “least nice” in this case – I can hear you saying, “Gem, this is going to hurt me much more than it’s going to hurt you…”

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    ...John Sexton gives the best critiques of anyone I know...
    Brian, if you voted in the poll, you must have selected options #1 (wife) and #2 (Sexton).

Your opinion of Sexton is so strong, people will want to know more if you think it’s useful to describe. For example, whether he inspires a greater awareness of “what’s wrong,” or “what works” in your photos. Or whether he causes you to think harder, or work harder. Or whether his attitude is what spins the magic – helping apt suggestions (conventional or unique) take root, when otherwise they might die...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    ...Another club activity is a portfolio review in the fall. ...We get 10-15 min. of consultation with a reviewer. Portfolio is presented to a reviewer in rotation till we run out of time at the community center where we meet...
    A good way to collect multiple comments w/o subjecting your work to too much “public scrutiny,” as a workshop might.

I find that Time is the best advisor. It's best if we can put our work away until we've had time to forget it entirely. Once we've forgotten it, can we see it as others do. Then we can bring it to completion.

The people I prefer depend on the kind of work. For my application at the academy I did a series about a local tradition in the tiny village where my mom is from. My uncle (who had been living in that village for 30 years) was delighted by the photos, saying "that's exactly what it's like". It meant a lot to me.

At the academy I wasn't very happy with the photography professors, who didn't understand what I was trying to do (and vice versa). I was lucky to end up in a painting class. The professor and I agreed that he didn't know anything about photography and I wouldn't even start to paint. It was wonderful: I showed him my photographs and he critiqued them with the sensitivity of a man who has been around images all his life. Because he wasn't into photography, he wouldn't just shoot rounds of photographers' names from the hip, but rather had me explain what I was doing. He asked me the questions of a man without all the background knowledge we often take for granted. He let me reexamine my own work in depth and pointed out weak points in my work and argumentation. It was great. I learned a lot.

That is what I miss most from my days at the academy.

Michael

I think it would depend on the purpose I had for taking the photograph. If it is to document a subject, the thoughts of someone with expertise in that subject would be helpful. If the purpose is to create Art, then the thoughts of others, either artists or people who appreciate art would be helpful. If the purpose is just to make a credible photograph, then the comments of a person with expertise in the photographic process would be paramount. If the purpose is to make money, the thoughts of a gallery owner would likely be helpful. If the purpose was to have fun, then all that matters is that it brings a smile to people's faces.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'm a pretty brutal critic, especially of myself, that said I still ask for feedback from other people before deciding to include an image in my catalog. While I shoot to satisfy myself I don't need an 80 print edition sitting in a cupboard. But pretty much I do what I want, and if I like an image, it goes public.

If I need criticism, I just ask my daughter. She's a bottomless well of brutal criticism...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I find that Time is the best advisor.
    Yes, I should add “Father Time” to the table as a favorite go-to critic.

Good work passes the test of time; poor work has trouble surviving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Once we’ve forgotten it, we can see it as others do.
    And see it as our Sub-conscious might – another excellent go-to critic, even if he or she’s not always easy to locate and summon...