Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Tales - show recent lens catches

Fish Tales - show recent lens catches

I just caught a nice big fish. I didn't know when I'd get another Euryscop IV when I sold my last one a while back, but lo and behold I hooked another whopper. I don't think I'll throw this one back.

Re: Fish Tales - show recent lens catches

'Tis a beauty, for sure!

I picked this up at a camera show. It's a solid little chunk of glass. Weighs nearly 14 oz. Not sure if it's really good for anything, or what it even covers. The only other Optika Actinar reference I've found is for a mid 60s Japanese 2x3 SLR. This would be a lot of glass to only cover 2x3.

My new catch : Jamin Darlot with 4 complements.

I can't stop myself. Got these three just this week (I am experimenting with 5X7 so I "needed" some more glass).

left - Fujnon W 180mm f/5.6
    center - Konica Hexanon GR II 150mm f/9
    right - Congo Yamasaki 180mm f/4.5

More info on that Optika Actinar a couple of posts back. I press-fit it onto a "lensboard" cut from cardboard and stuck it through a no. 3 lensboard that arrived from Kerry a day or two ago.

It definitely illuminates a circle big enough for 4x5. I didn't try to move it around since it wasn't a very secure "mounting" job. I did an exposure of my usual lens-test subject (my fireplace and its nicknacks), and I'll know in a day or two after developing.

I have no flange or mounting ring. The seller called it a 5x7 enlarging lens, but I have no idea if that's accurate. If it seems decently sharp, I'll do a little searching to find or have a ring made.

Hey Randy,

That Congo looks suspiciously like my 180/4.5! (scroll up two from your post) Heavy? With an awful lot of aperture blades? Preset aperture ring?

I get five reflections off of element surfaces. The lens is coated.

Mark, yes, that is why I shot it, as it looked a lot like yours, but from the looks, mine is older, or at least has seen more use than yours. The Congo goes down to F/64 though. I also have a Kodak Enlarging Ektanon, 7 1/2", which I guess is about 190mm that has the same 5 reflections as yours and the Congo but doesn't seem to have near the coverage as the Congo. As soon as I can figure out how to mount the thing (no retaining ring) I'll give it a try.
    The congo has slightly purpalish reflections, the Kodak has yellowish reflections.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
    I picked this up at a camera show. It's a solid little chunk of glass. Weighs nearly 14 oz. Not sure if it's really good for anything, or what it even covers. The only other Optika Actinar reference I've found is for a mid 60s Japanese 2x3 SLR. This would be a lot of glass to only cover 2x3.

Both the Congo & Your lens are Tessar design. I believe They should have around 60-65% coverage stopped down Maybe 70% max. You should have a bit of wiggle room on 4x5. Much tighter on 5x7 but will cover.For the most part both lenses should max out at small stops of near 9" Image circle.

Very lovely Euryscope #5 Garrett. I love this size for 8x10 .

Hey Garrett I have the original water house stops for my #5 . If you would like. I can scan my set for use as templates for your lens. Makes creating a set of stops much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Very lovely Euryscope #5 Garrett. I love this size for 8x10 .

Hey Garrett I have the original water house stops for my #5 . If you would like. I can scan my set for use as templates for your lens. Makes creating a set of stops much easier.
    Sure, that would be handy. It looks like this size is for even larger than 8x10 plates, but the only film I have today to try it out is 5x7! It's in fantastic condition and if anything like my last one, should take great portraits.