Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bellows frame measurements for 11x14 Century View Camera #1?

Bellows frame measurements for 11x14 Century View Camera #1?

I recently acquired an 11x14 Century View Camera #1 that does not have a bellows or bellows frame. I'd like to order a bellows through either Custom Bellows or Turner Bellows, but don't know the measurements I should provide since I don't have the original bellows or bellows frame. (I intend to make the bellows frame myself.)

As this is my first large format camera, I am not comfortable:

-first, assuming I've figured out how the standards, bellows frames, and bellows interact
    -second, making up my own measurements
    -and third, dropping $325+ on a bellows only to find out it is the wrong size

Any front and rear bellows frame measurements for my camera (and/or advice) would be greatly appreciated.

josh

New Orleans, LA

Re: Bellows frame measurements for 11x14 Century View Camera #1?

Josh,

I may be able to help you. I have an 11x14 Century that is currently in pieces awaiting cleaning and putting back together. The bellows are shot but I've saved them so that, when the time came, I would send them to either Custom or Turner to have new ones made. PM me and we'll figure it out.

Deardorff Sales and service

Seldom does a bellows builder have a wood form for a specific bellows. They build to dimensions. So why do'nt you build a set of frames, rabbat the rear frame 1/8" in and 3/8 wide for the nail rib. Make sure they give you a nail rib. The front frame should be self evident. Just a bit smaller than the nest it sits in.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Got a picture of what you've got Josh?

New Orleans, LA

The measurements of the front bellows frame is 7 2/16" square (exterior), 6" square (interior), .375" (depth).

On the back I don't have the bellows frame but the space where it fits is 14" square; .375" deep.

Thanks for the suggestion, TheDeardorffGuy. I contemplated building frames first and then ordering bellows to the frames I built. However, I've only seen large format cameras once, about 3 years ago, and I didn't pay particular attention to the construction. This is the first time that I've ever looked at a large format camera to see exactly how the bellows attaches. I also don't know if, for example, the frame needs to be a certain thickness between the inner and outer diameter to minimize wear on folded bellows. I just don't know. I figured I would see if anyone had a Century View #1 and take measurements I could use. If not, I'll do what you suggested.

Jim, attached are some photos that hopefully illustrate what I have and what I don't have. I don't exactly know what I don't have.

Thom, thanks for the dimensions and photos. This helps, but are you sure the wood piece inside your rear standard (14" square) isn't the rear bellows frame? I don't have that piece in my camera (I measure about 15 3/4" square), and am under the impression that the inner diameter of the bellows should be at least 14" so as not to block light from hitting the edges of the film. But I could very well be mistaken.

Thanks everyone who has responded. So far this has been fruitful. I hope the photographs help in advising me.

josh

New Orleans, LA

Ah, so, according to DeardorffGuy, I'm not missing a rear bellows frame; the bellows should come with a nail rib. Once that is nailed into the rear standard it will be light tight. Is this corrrect?

Deardorff Sales and service

Whoa..........A nail rib is the narrow last rib on the back end of the bellows. It is the rib that wraps around the outside of bellows frame. On the front the bellows wraps around the outside of the front bellows frame and is contact glued to that frame. This is the way a Deardorff is done. Other cameras the bellows is nailed. (with really small tacks) to the inside of the frame. On a Century I'm not sure. Never nail anything to your camera. Screws!! If you cant find the right screws at ACE HDWR Hillman section try
    www.boltdepot.com
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Thanks, Ken. Now I have a pretty good idea what I need to fabricate myself and how that affects the dimensions of the bellows.

Thanks everyone for assisting in answering my questions, it is much appreciated.

josh

Anyone has instructions for 11x14 Century camera? I just bought one and there's a rear rail option that attached to the back, want to get some details on it. Also any accessories that this camera came with originally.