Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appropriate camera for Petzval and Verito type lenses

joseph

Re: Appropriate camera for Petzval and Verito type lenses

Thanks Scott- The lens isn't marked for any size, in fact, it's only engraved with names, location, and serial number- I had to measure the focal length myself.

It does illuminate a bit more with the hood removed, but not much.
    The cutoff is still pretty abrupt.

Here's an example, shot from a couple of meters away-

The lens will only illuminate 8x10 at distances of less than about a meter-

Both of these 8x10, btw...

All my other Petzvals are between 4" to 7", and all display around the same angle of coverage, or illumination-

I'm not really interested in emphasizing the swirl myself, although the effect is still there...

The trouble u will have is lens board size. Most petzvals that "cover" a given format are big and require large lens boards. Most petzvals that cover will not fit on a speed board.

Buy an 8x10. U will end up getting one in the long run. Get a reducing back. Use 4x5 and 5x7. All the lenses you will want to use to cover will work great. But u will have the SAme problem if u try to mount an 810 petzval lens on it...
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Lachlan 717

Perhaps look at the Shen Hao XPO.

It was designed to accept Sinar lensboards and Sinar shutters.

As such, you kill 2 stones with the one bird: you get a large lensboard and you sort out the exposure issue inherent with barrel lenses.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Perhaps look at the Shen Hao XPO.

It was designed to accept Sinar lensboards and Sinar shutters.

As such, you kill 2 stones with the one bird: you get a large lensboard and you sort out the exposure issue inherent with barrel lenses.
    But you also kill the budget...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    The trouble u will have is lens board size. Most petzvals that "cover" a given format are big and require large lens boards. Most petzvals that cover will not fit on a speed board.

Buy an 8x10. U will end up getting one in the long run. Get a reducing back. Use 4x5 and 5x7. All the lenses you will want to use to cover will work great. But u will have the SAme problem if u try to mount an 810 petzval lens on it...
    On a 4x5 and wanting swirl, I think he'd be okay since that would be a pretty short Petzval, which is small enough to fit, even with a bright aperture. But you're right,the Speed Graphic boards are small, and coupled with the short bellows, the only thing left to recommend it is the shutter, and there are ways around that.

I'd still say a cheap 4x5 monorail, and find a front-mountable shutter adaptable to both lenses. That could add the advantage of flash-synch, too, though I don't know if that's a concern.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    But you also kill the budget...
    None mentioned!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by psychoanalyst View Post
    I was initially sure that I wanted to buy the Speed Graphic. Not only because its fairly cheap...
    I inferred from the above, but Petzvals and Veritos aren't cheap, so point taken!

I have a petzval in my lending 'library' which should be back in a few weeks. Not much good for swirls on something as small as a Speed Graphic, though. Richard

Description:
    4x5/5x7/6 1/2 x 8 1/2: petzval with about 8" focal length, 7 1/2" image circle, around f5. Has flange to use and the focus knob thing. Would work on 8x10 if you want to capture the entire image circle

Cost is going to be an issue. But I am graduating with my PhD this year...so I might have a reason to spend a reasonable amount of money. Assuming I make it to a job!

The Verito, as you mentioned is expensive, so I am willing to wait on that one. I will concentrate on the Petzval for now.

I gather that the Speed Graphic may not cut it if I want the Petzval for its swirlies...so I am guessing its better to rule it out? Whats a good 8x10 to start with?

I want a basic, minimal cost setup, since I am very new to all this and want to experiment with something cheap to make sure that I like it enough to spend more on it.

Thanks so much for all the information!

Avi