Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question regarding displaying photographs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question regarding displaying photographs

In lieu of glare-free glass, does anyone reguarly display their work in frames sans glass?

thanx,

Joe

hacker extraordinaire

Re: Question regarding displaying photographs

I do. I hate glass. The only time I have used glazing is for some prints I hung at work, because I didn't want the cleaning staff to use Windex on the bare prints.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

In the balance of long term protection from the elements, unencumbered viewing etc. glass is still the best compromise. In general, the real problem is where a framed print is hung and how it is lit rather than the use of glass. Most people pay scant attention to the environment and then blame the use of glass for problems in viewing the print.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well, I'm a "push the button" kind of printer, which colors my perception a bit. The prints I hang in my own home do not use glazing anymore. I'm about to start experimenting with no mats either - just printing on a piece of paper the size of the frame, but with the image somewhat smaller.

I'm about to send a couple of matted and framed images to my sister, and shipping without glazing is nice, as well. And if they fall off the wall, no broken glass! If the prints ever suffer in some way, I can just print more. But by the time that happens she might be looking for something new anyway!

If I ever sold any images I might have other concerns, but that is not a problem at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    In lieu of glare-free glass, does anyone reguarly display their work in frames sans glass?
    Sure, the "mistakes" (mostly mounting or finishing) – in my garage.

But seriously, I have tried glare resistant acrylic glazing, the glass variety being beyond my means and otherwise undesirable. It merely dulls the clarity of the underlying print. That probably isn't much of a problem for machine made images .

I am surprised that anyone uses plain glass anymore. It is very heavy and a problem waiting to happen. But I always use acrylic. It does add glare but protects the prints from dust, fingerprints, and general mischief. The acrylic I get from Frame Destinations is my favorite because the adhesive paper comes off easily in one simple tug.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I am surprised that anyone uses plain glass anymore. It is very heavy and a problem waiting to happen. But I always use acrylic. It does add glare but protects the prints from dust, fingerprints, and general mischief. The acrylic I get from Frame Destinations is my favorite because the adhesive paper comes off easily in one simple tug.
    I only use acrylic on very large pieces or when I have to ship framed prints to collectors or shows. Acrylic has its issues too-it is more expensive, is easily scratched and can warp during temp fluctuations .
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Abuser of God's Sunlight

If it weren't so expensive, I'd use Museum Glass or one of the equivalents. Really amazing stuff. Over the last few years I've settled on plexi. The weight and durability and clarity offset the scratchability and dust magnet qualities. But I don't like the wavy look it gives to glare and reflections.

The project I'm doing now will probably be glassless.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    If it weren't so expensive, I'd use Museum Glass or one of the equivalents. Really amazing stuff.
    I'll add one thing here. The first pieces of this I purchased were at a frame shop. $230 a sheet is what they were asking. I purchased it wholesale for less than 1/4 of that.... Haven't priced it lately, but go wholesale, you might be very surprised...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Drew Wiley

I was remodeling (still am). All the big prints were already sold or wrapped up for storage. But in the interim I hung a big leftoever with some mounting failure (blisters)
    from some past experiment. The cat jumped on a table to get at it. He died from old age and, despite his felonies, was buried in a fresh shoe box sprinkled with catnip, presumably to join the mummified cats of the pharaoh's and defile things in the afterlife. One of my favorite stories is how Salvador Dali and his wife walked into a
    dealer with their two famous pet ocelots on leash. One of them sprayed a couple of
    Durer etchings. When the gallery owner made a fuss, Dali commented that, "a mess of
    Dali's is a masterpiece", whereupon the owner promptly doubled the asking price of
    those particular etchings.