Thread: Looking for Voigtlander Collinear Series III No.4 info

Looking for Voigtlander Collinear Series III No.4 info

I just bought a Voigtlander Collinear Series III No.4 and am trying to find some information on it. I have searched google as much as I can tolerate and have found very little about specs of the No.4.

It was made in 1899 according to the serial number and has "Voigtlaender & Son Optical Co" etched on the side. Its a f/7.7.

Does any one know the coverage, quality, mount size (shutters it will fit) or worth?

I found some info on allenrumme.com and grabbed a screenshot. Just not sure if the lens I marked in the shot is the one I purchased.

I am also attaching two photos of the lens.

Any help would be appreciated. Would like to see a catalogue or advertisement for the lens, but can only find the for the series II.

loujon

Re: Looking for Voigtlander Collinear Series III No.4 info

Hi Nick

It looks like you have a Collinear series III lens. a 2x 3 glued cells much like a Dagor. You'll find it's more than likely around 7-9"FL . The series II is just about the same formula just the II is a stop faster.

If you #4 is around 8" it's made for 5x7 & should cover whole plate when stopped all the way down.

The lens is worth about $100 + if the glass is good & aperture is complete & working A bit more if you have the flange. The value I give is just a somewhere in the ball park value. I can tell you this it's not a big money lens in the smaller FL.

Should perform much like a Dagor sharp w/ smoother transitions. Smoother than modern lenses.

Thanks for the info.

It is a number 4. I was hoping it had more coverage than 5x7. Oh well. I only paid about 20 dollars for it, but have no idea what condition it is in. It was sold with no promises as to it functionality. The seller knew nothing about photography. Its being shipped to me, so wont know how it looks for a few days.

I am working on restoring a British half plate camera that has a Beck symmetrical lens on a Thornton Pickard time/inst. shutter, what lens is better (for landscapes)? Would the collinear fit on the Pickard shutter?

1910 George Murphy (NY) Catalogue entry.

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nickphotoca View Post
    Thanks for the info.

It is a number 4. I was hoping it had more coverage than 5x7. Oh well. I only paid about 20 dollars for it, but have no idea what condition it is in. It was sold with no promises as to it functionality. The seller knew nothing about photography. Its being shipped to me, so wont know how it looks for a few days.

You do realize that one of the lens cells is missing (assuming this is the same one that went on e-b@y yesterday)? So you only have a half a lens, which is still partially useable, but will be much longer in focal length and smaller in aperture. This lens probably would have sold for much more if it was complete.

Tim

Thanks Dan. Thats what I was looking for.

Tim - It was on ebay. No I did not realize that it was missing a cell. Guess thats why it was only 20 bucks. I don't know much about these lenses, thought it looked complete. Crap.

What cell is it missing? The rear?

edit- just looked at the advertisement above. I see now. It is missing the rear. Again... crap.

yeah, too bad. It was hard to tell from the pictures in the listing that the rear cell was missing. I was thinking about bidding anyway, on the off-chance that the cell that is present might fit one of my other collinears, so I could make a sort of "casket set". I've found Voigtlander used a lot of common thread sizes for a variety of their lenses, so you might be able to do the same.

cheers

Tim

Voigtländer sold three series of casket sets based on the Collinear III. Your single lens would have almost certainly been one those included in set B made for 5x7".