Thread: iPhone app

iPhone app

Is there an ap that you can add filter factor bellows extension etc to which gives you the adjusted exposure? The ones I have seen so far have lots of other stuff to wade through before you can just get the adjusted exposure.

Kevin.

Apo-Heespharm-N MC

Re: iPhone app

I don't think there's an app for using your natural brain as a calculator... But you can get "exp. Assist" to help you in visualizing EV changes

I use the program pCAM Film + Digital calculator for my iPhone.
    Here is the owner's website: http://www.davideubank.com/Good_Focu...alculator.html

It is an intense program with tools you may not want/need, but it is the best photography tool I have found for my iPhone.

Measure two landmarks on your camera (like the front of the front standard to the rear of the rear standard) with the lens focused at infinity. This won't be equal to the fl, but it won't matter. For my 120mm lens, on my Ebony 45SU, the front of the front standard to the rear of the rear standard is 93mm. This way you don't have to worry about flange focal distance, because you're not measuring for the actual nodal point to film plane, but for two easier to measure landmarks.

infinity focus + 1/6 of the fl = 1/3 stop adjustment
    infinity + 1/4 of the fl = 1/2 stop adjustment, etc.

So, for my 120mm lens, that means infinity + 120/6 for 1/3 adjustment, +120/4 for 1/2 stop etc. You don't have to do both 1/3 and 1/2 stops if you don't want to.

Make a chart that works for your lens up to maximum extension. Here's what I get for my 120:
    At ∞ 93
    1/3 113
    1/2 123
    2/3 133
    1 153
    1-1/3 173
    1-1/2 183
    1-2/3 193
    2 213

After that, I figure I'm too "macro" for that lens, but I could always do the math "in field" if I had to.

Print it out, tape it to your lensboard. Don't forget a tape measure when you go out shooting.

I have one of these for all of my lenses.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

just print one of these:

http://www.salzgeber.at/disc/index.html

I am surprised there is not a simple ap where you program your lenses in. So you just select the lens and input the bellows length + anything else and get either a speed or aperture read out.

Kevin.

Lightbulb Re: iPhone app

Quote Originally Posted by Noeyedear View Post
    I am surprised there is not a simple ap where you program your lenses in. So you just select the lens and input the bellows length + anything else and get either a speed or aperture read out.

Kevin.
    I am thinking to develop one. Something that gives a work flow for LF exposure process. It should remind you to close your shutter, pull out the dark slide, and put it back. The iphone camera can be used as a zone system evaluator. You take a snapshot with iphone, register the image with your spotmeter readings and your visualized zones (something like drop a pin on the picture for each spot reading), input bellow length, input speed or aperture, and the app gives out the exposure parameter and the amount of push/pull required in the development. DOF calculator can also be included. Plus it saves all the record with the picture to remind you of what you have done.

I could see value in such app as a new LF user. Experienced users who has the work flow built into each of their muscle fiber might find it a not-so-useful addition, and even a waste of time in the exposure process.