Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft

Re: Aircraft

This isn't exactly aircraft, it was faster than most aircraft. It's a rocket sled in New Mexico. My father was a photographer on this project. The photos were shot with a high speed 4x5 camera, the film was on a very large roll. They were made in the late 1950's. There was a version of this sled that was ridden by Col. John Stapp. In the second photo there is a long black object in the white flame, it is a howitzer projectile fired at the sled, I have no idea why. The sled was faster than the projectile. The sled went from 0 to just about the speed of sound and back to 0 in about two miles. It was stopped with a water brake method.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocketsled1.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	91695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocketsled2.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	91696

I'd love to shoot aircraft with my LF kit. There's something about the shapes and craftsmanship that goes into aircraft that intrigues me.

Do you guys know if it's possible to get access to the airplane graveyards you have out in Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada?

We're heading to California and Nevada soon, so would love to burn some film on aircraft.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    This isn't exactly aircraft, it was faster than most aircraft. It's a rocket sled in New Mexico. My father was a photographer on this project. The photos were shot with a high speed 4x5 camera, the film was on a very large roll. They were made in the late 1950's. There was a version of this sled that was ridden by Col. John Stapp. In the second photo there is a long black object in the white flame, it is a howitzer projectile fired at the sled, I have no idea why. The sled was faster than the projectile. The sled went from 0 to just about the speed of sound and back to 0 in about two miles. It was stopped with a water brake method.

Name:	rocketsled1.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	91695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rocketsled2.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	91696
    Nice shots Alan. I worked at Holloman AFB and saw where this sled was, as well as the monkey farm where Ham, the first US astronaut chimp, was trained. White Sands and that part of NM were truly the cradle of space exploration. If you walk in the desert near there, you find some amazing things. I've actually found parts of rockets sticking out of the sand, in isolated areas.

Exclamation Re: Aircraft

I"m still a neophyte in LF, tend to underexpose, but this one, underexposed and forgetting to blow the dust off the enlarger actually helped IMO. It is a pretty tight crop shot with a Speed Graphic at the airshow last fall in Ft. Worth. The second shot is a P-38 from the same show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Speed Graphic 1 BWSM.jpg   Speed Graphic BWSM 2.jpg  

Correction: In my post #46 I just discovered in re-reading it that the interview with Time mag should have been Life mag.

Trying to resurrect this thread.

The first is a Piper Cub (PA18) used by the Alaska State Troopers. Big tundra tires and all. Shot at Lake Hood Strip.

The center photo is a close up of a B29 that was converted for aerial fire fighting.

The B29 crash on a glacier in Alaska, here's what I know:
    November 15, 1957 the plane (44-70039) left Elmendorf AFB at 9:56 a.m. It crashed at 6:22 p.m., after a training radar calibration flight. The crew were part of the 5040th Radar Evaluation team. Six were killed and four survived, kept alive by the least injured survivor. The cause of the accident, it was 27 miles East of it's assumed course.

Name:	AKStateTroopers_2003-s.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	122130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AKFireBomber_2003-s.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	122131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B29crashAK1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	122132

Here is one at SF CA AMR Combs 1997
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smith Hangar Door copy.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I'm old enough to have flown on Connies as a passenger. As I recall, they were very noisy and shook like the dickens.
    Me too. Last one I flew was a Delta from Idelwild to Atlanta in 1961.

I took the Speed Graphic and some sheets of Ilford Delta 100 over to the aviation museum nearby my house on Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. It is a very good collection of planes and helicopters along with a small museum of Marine artifacts. There are always some great old Marines there telling stories and generally having a good time. If you like aviation, it is well worth a visit. Admission is free.

Leatherneck 7 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Leatherneck-8 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Leatherneck-2 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

Leatherneck-5 by James Harr's Photos, on Flickr

James Harr
    Humble Hobbyist

Great pictures and a great display of USMC aircraft. My in-laws live in Scripps Ranch. Took the kids to see that display (and the USS Midway) before we moved from CA to NH four years ago.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com