Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Utah

Re: Hello from Utah

My advice is to try and see if you can borrow or rent a field camera before you make a purchase. Once you've played under the dark cloth for a bit with a couple cameras you'll make a better purchase. Look into the lightweight DLC Canhams which you'll find on the used market every now and then. Toyo has a lightweight 45CF priced under $1000.00. I have no experience with this camera other than holding it and playing with the controls in a showroom. The nice thing about it is that you get a lightweight and compact camera that will do most anything you want, but it won't destroy your wallet, so if need be later on down the road you can upgrade to an Ebony or some other camera.

You'll find that the lighter cameras tend to offer fewer movements in order to achieve weight savings. For example, I don't think the Toyo 45CF has any rear standard movements. That is something you'll want to think about before purchasing a camera. For most landscape photography, you probably can get by without the rear standard movements, although if you want to shoot architecture or scenes with strong vertical and/or horizontal elements, then maybe you'll want to reconsider purchasing a camera with restricted movements. Search this forum for reviews as people much more knowledgeable have written nice reviews on various cameras, and that might help you along the way.

-DP

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum!
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Thanks for the advice and welcomes guys, I have made the leap after selling some unused hobbies on ebay, I unfortunately dont know of a local retailer that would carry any large format gear, I did call around and the little digital geeks who only see pixels didnt have a clue, So after much review reading and video watching, hunting and pecking, I decided on the Shen TZ45-IIB I also ordered a 90mm superA lens, and will add another lens a little later once I find my place with this lens.

I gave the Toyo 45cf a hard look, but didnt like the missing back movements, and I chatted with an owner of one in Australia, he had nothing but good things to say about it.

I am sure I will be posting many questions in the other forums soon, thanks again!

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

What lensboard does that Shen take? All of my lenses are on Canham boards if you want to see what they'll do. I have a 90, 120, 150, 210, 355, 480 and a 21 inch... It might give you a good idea what different lenses may or may not do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    What lensboard does that Shen take? All of my lenses are on Canham boards if you want to see what they'll do. I have a 90, 120, 150, 210, 355, 480 and a 21 inch... It might give you a good idea what different lenses may or may not do for you.
    Thanks for the offer! Its #0 shutter sized, I should get the Shen this Friday and take a few weeks to get used to it, but I would like to see what yours would do on it.
    Can you tell me if their are any clubs in the area for LF users or just plane photography?

nick. get a top quality crown graphic.. not a ton of movements, but very lightweight and folds up very small.. rugged and durable for outdoor shooting..

I would buy to go along with it:

90mm f/8 super angulon
    150mm f/5.6 symmar
    210mm docter germinar

3 fast inexpensive lenses.
    color negative film
    black plastic film holders

best of luck!

sg
    Ektachrome 64 x wishes and Tech Pan Dreams

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I'm not sure if there are any LF clubs in SLC. Plenty of shooters, but not many 'clubs'. I have my own club. There's only one member. We all get together and go out photographing quite often. There is some politics and in-fighting, but all in all it's not a bad group.

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    There is some politics and in-fighting, but all in all it's not a bad group.

lol, I understand!

some clubs are like that....

I received my Shen Hao 4x5 last week and took a short hike, and got a few shots, here is my favorite from that day, I have to say I am very pleased with the Shen Hao, it seems well built and very ridged, since the bottom is a 1/8" thick plate of aluminum.
    Its a good back pack camera I plan to use it for a long time!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickade...in/photostream

Jason Brunner lives in your area. He has several videos out on using LF cameras as well as darkroom processing. These can be found over at Apug in the video section. H e can be contacted through them also, maybe he can point you to a local club.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian