Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Utah

Hello from Utah

HI all,

I have been in photography for about 7 years, It grew from a digital hobby to an obsession in film.

I have several medium format cameras and a couple top of the line digital for sports and action.

I have just gotten into large format, having bought a Graflex Graphic view, I now realize that I dont want to pack that heavy rig around on the trail, so I am in the market for a good field camera in 4x5.

Any recommendations?

budget should be around 1200US, any help in this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Zac

Re: Hello from Utah

Welcome to group therapy! I use my Cambo in the field regularly, but since I do mostly architectural work, I don't have to carry it far; if I were going further than normal and didn't think I would be needing the movements of the Cambo, I keep a Super graphic around. Note: the Cambo has an adapter lensboard that allows me to put a lens on it in a Super lensboard...most of my lenses are on Super boards so that they can move between cameras.

Welcome to group therapy! lol,

thats for sure,

being a digital guru, I know the limitations of my D300 and the D700...

I know the type of film body I want, just not the brand that will last, hows the life span of a Shen Hao? Is a zone VI that looks just like the Shen with out the brass any good?
    I have also been eying the Toyo 45FC, I think it looks like a great field camera, but it doesnt have rear adjustments...

Also am I wrong to think that a good lens for landscapes would be about 90mm?

I adore the process of using the 4x5, it makes me concentrate on the subject endlessly.
    I needed to slow down, its good for me

The Shen Hao and the Toyo are both popular and reputedly well made cameras (I've not used either) of fine quality; same can be said of the Zone VI, but it has somewhat of a "cult" following that can raise its price somewhat. You will find all three to be good field cameras.

As to lenses, I would recommend starting with something around 150 to 160mm ("normal" length for 4x5)...this approximates your normal perspective and makes a good all-around lens. Most folks find wide angle lenses a bit harder to focus on a ground glass than longer lenses...I'd start longer and add a wider lens if you find you can't get enough on the negative with the normal lens; of course, as I say this, bear in mind that in shooting architectural subjects I shoot wide angles from 65mm to 90 mm a great deal of the time, but I always use the longest lens I can for any given scene in order to avoid the problems built into the wide angle perspective. Of course, having been doing this for awhile, I have a choice of about a dozen lenses ranging from 65mm to 450mm.

You're right that sheet film will slow you down and make you concentrate. Years ago, shooting 35mm, I used to shoot three of four of every shot...now I rarely shoot more than one unless the lighting is really problematical.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

If you want to see a Canham 8x10 'Traditional' camera (wood and aluminum), I am in Riverton. I head out to the lake regularly...

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    If you want to see a Canham 8x10 'Traditional' camera (wood and aluminum), I am in Riverton. I head out to the lake regularly...
    I would indeed like to see an 8x10 in action, and pick your brain for some tips?
    It will be a few weeks before I have my 4x5 rig started I would like to wait till then.
    thanks for the invite!

And thanks everyone for the lens recommendations, I will start out with a 150mm or around that. My light meter should arrive this week, I didnt want to use my SLR for a light meter.....

Chamonix 4x5 (check with hugo Zhang here on the forum) and a schneider super angulon 90mm f8. BOth great values and light.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Welcome aboard.

Picked up my lens, a 90mm F8 Super Angulon, waiting on my auctions to end to buy the body.....

I cant find a dealer for Chamonix here in the USA, anyone no of one?

Hi Zac. There were recently several used Chamonix 4x5s in the FS. Hugo Zhang (on the forum) is the US rep for these cameras. I've used Ebony 45RW, Canham 57 &810 trad and Deardorff 57 & 810. I just got a Chamonix 57 a week ago. I sent Hugo the money, went to Escalante for some slot canyon hiking & photography & had the camera sitting at the post office when I came home. Could not have been more painless. They are a terrific camera. Well made and very user friendly. Do take advantage of the chance to visit Michael S. I recently sold him some 4x10 film and regret I wasn't able to meet up with him in Riverton. His Great Salt Lake work is inspiring. Enjoy the 4x5 journey
    Last edited by Greg Y; 16-May-2011 at 11:05.