Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss M Line Two vs RL3d vs F-Line C w/Micro Orbix

Arca Swiss M Line Two vs RL3d vs F-Line C w/Micro Orbix

Without having anywhere to check out these cameras firsthand, I've had to search online for info and reviews, but not sure which would be best for me.

I photograph architecture commercially and want more movement than the 5dMk2 and Canon 24mm shift lens give. I want to be able to combine vertical rise or fall and lateral shift. Something the Canon system doesn't allow you to do.

Prefer the extra shift offered by the RL3d over the RM3d and the ability to use large format film (like to have the option to try it one day).

Would like to start out with medium format film to get used to using view camera movements, and starting off by getting cheaper/older lenses.

I'm guessing the learning curve with the RL3d won't be as steep as the one with the M Line Two and the F-Line C.

Eventually I'd like to upgrade to digital lenses and a digital back.

Any ideas which camera would suit me?

Re: Arca Swiss M Line Two vs RL3d vs F-Line C w/Micro Orbix

If you're just starting out with view cameras, I suggest an inexpensive monorail with bag bellows and a roll film holder. It is important to see if you like the slower pace before committing to a relatively expensive system like the Arca. I use a Toyo 45DX, a Linhof Color and a Sinar P2, and occasionally a Wista 45D with a digital back, roll film and a Betterlight scan back. The Toyo is the best bang for the buck for architecture, with geared shift and rise/fall. It costs so little that you can simply keep it as a backup or for when you want something more rugged.

For information on the Arca, check Darr Almeida's posts here and Chris Barrett's posts on Luminous Landscape.

Kumar

Thanks Kumar, I like the slower pace, no issue there... Just got my heart set on an Arca.

Joshua Tree, California

Good write up on the M2 here

http://christopherbarrett.net/blog/?p=800

I have an Arca Swiss F-Line Metric with Orbix which is what you are looking for. That with a bag bellows would be perfect for your application. the M-Line would be overkill. As far as lenses, they would be much cheaper than the camera so just get some modern wide angle focal lengths from the main 4 manufacturers.

However, I agree with B.S. Kumar - for starters, pick up a used Toyo monorail with geared movements plus modern lenses. See if you like it before committing to the Arca. That is what I did. Also, working with wide angle lenses indoors on a view camera is not the most fun. The image is dim and focusing takes some practice. You would probably want the larger aperture wide angles for your work.

Yeah, saw that, thanks Ed.

if you're eventually wanting to go the digi-back route, I'd go for a camera that has the finer-geared movements that digital needs. Shooting film(even rollfilm IMO), the "movements" and extreme accuracy that is needed when focusing on the g/g gets to be problematic with digital backs. The focus plane on MF sized chips is so small, it makes film look like childs play . However, using a camera such as the M2, Sinar P3, or other view cameras(or tech cameras like the Arca RL3D/RM3d(i)), which ARE designed for digital(or hybrid in the RL3D's case) usage primarily, they're built with less "slack" in the movements, and some more precision in terms of fit and finish. This is purely my opinion, but having assisted people who have used 4x5 and 8x10 Sinar/Horseman, Cambo Legend, etc... for years to photograph architecture, product, anything else they want, now shooting with a MF setup, focusing is all that more critical. Also, b/c you're generally shooting at F/8-11 to get the best "sharpness" out of your $40k piece of kit(digi back alone ), you'll probably result to focus-stacking and then merging shots in PS. Its standard practice today, and the results can look tremendous.

However, I know a few people that use their Sinar P2 that they've had since it came out in the 80's, and with some TLC/CLA every few years, they're more than happy with the results it helps bring. A view camera(digitally-designed or film) used in conjunction with a sliding back makes still life(or architecture in C. Barrett's case) very quick. It also makes it so you don't have to resort to removing and re-installing a g/g assembly to take a shot.

This is just my $.02, but from a practicality standpoint, cameras built for digital usage from the get-go CAN make things faster, and more accurate. But everyone's opinions differ, this is just mine made from observations over the past 2 years.

-Dan

My experience mirrors Dan's.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

You might also want to contact Rod, the USA rep and national expert on all things Arca: Rod.Klukas@Arca-Swiss.com

He also posts here occasionally but darned if I can recall his handle.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

6x9 F metric..The ultimate little roll film camera, The M-line doesn't give you much more than extra weight...Evan Clarke