Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some good news and bad news

Some good news and bad news

Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Some good news and bad news

Such is due those who speculate just to run up prices!

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

"I had been hearing that silver could go up to $150 an ounce this year," says Mr. Zornetsky.
    I heard that the slots at Reno are loose -- I'm going to "invest" my savings in Reno. Yeah..."could go up".

Vaughn

some immediate family(who is here at the house celebrating mothers day) just transferred some $$$ into silver and gold from other types of "accounts". I'm now letting them know this news . I'm glad I don't invest in commodities . Fingers crossed they don't shit their pants.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    my folks just transferred some $$$ into silver and gol from other types of "accounts". I'm now letting them know this news . I'm glad I don't invest in commodities . Fingers crossed my dad doesn't shit his pants.

-Dan
    Thats the bad news.
    Go buy some film, and release the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim k View Post
    Thats the bad news.
    tell me about it. He's not showing it really, but I know he doesn't like the news....

not to mention they did it 2 weeks ago. I make some silver jewelry as a side hobby through a local lapidary program, and I remember buying silver for ~$9/ounce 5 years ago(2005-2006). Silver and other commodities are just plain dangerous IMO, they're too volatile to make LONG-TERM investments in. Day trading commidities, MAYBE. But my family(including myself) can't watch the market 24/7/365. I invest locally in businesses(a local barbershop is doing nicely right now ), and check in weekly(or monthly) so its more person-to-person, independent investments. Even being 23, I've watched my grandparents lose a lot of money(and their parents too) during the Depression, and knowing that my immediate family has made DUMB(IMO) investments like this makes me feel sorry to be a part of it. I love my family, but sometimes they neglect to see that sometimes I can see through things better than they can(since I watch silver/gold prices b/c it affects film pricing), and they follow their financial "advisor" dude's advice like sheep. Pisses me off...

-Dan

Has Been LF Photographer

I remember the silver run-up in the 1980s. What I have never forgotten was that Kodak raised the price of paper due to the silver prices and when silver tumbled, they didn't lower paper prices, but kept them at there high level. I've disliked Kodak ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    I remember the silver run-up in the 1980s. What I have never forgotten was that Kodak raised the price of paper due to the silver prices and when silver tumbled, they didn't lower paper prices, but kept them at there high level. I've disliked Kodak ever since.
    Yep! Silver went up, silver went down and Kodak never lowered the prices. IMO, the Hunt brothers attempt to corner the silver market was the beginning of the slow decline of film based photography. Digital technology wasn't a factor then but the industry was forever changed after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    That is the old "Supply and Demand" thing. Kodak and the other companies raised the prices and people still bought at the higher prices -- setting the "demand" part of the equation higher. We as customers showed Kodak that they had priced their products too low, and that the market could bear the price increase and still sell products...unfortunately for us.

Few companies will sell something for a buck if the customers are willing to pay two bucks for it...that is considered "bad business", no matter how good it may be.

Vaughn

Likewise when Chinese workers start demanding pay on parr with (Country of choice here) workers.

Computers, TV's everything at Walmart, where will it end

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That is the old "Supply and Demand" thing. Kodak and the other companies raised the prices and people still bought at the higher prices -- setting the "demand" part of the equation higher. We as customers showed Kodak that they had priced their products too low, and that the market could bear the price increase and still sell products...unfortunately for us.

Few companies will sell something for a buck if the customers are willing to pay two bucks for it...that is considered "bad business", no matter how good it may be.

Vaughn
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com