Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some good news and bad news

Re: Some good news and bad news

And the bad part is??

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Likewise when Chinese workers start demanding pay on parr with (Country of choice here) workers.

Computers, TV's everything at Walmart, where will it end
    You mean I'll have to actually pay what something is worth? How bloody Un-American!

Can you imagine if we actually had to pay alien/migrant farm laborers full value?! Small family/cooperative farms might actually be able to compete with industrial farms, for one thing! Local Farmer's Markets could become mainstream instead of being "expensive" luxuries. There might be more vege gardens in the backyards of the McMansions, too. Not being able to afford a vacation to wherever due to the cost of food, at the end of summer the kids have to help with the harvest and then have a big family/neighborhood canning sessions. Dream on McVaughn...LOL!

That actually does not sound half bad the way you state it. Prior to my days at Omega I worked in a Greenhouse. Lots less stressful and far better air quality. I did the 6.50 an hour bit for about 6 months there I was living at home at the time so I had enough money to meet some expenses. I was self employed for five years prior to going back to Omega after being away five years. Now I am more or less self employed again.

I have lots of thoughts on this topic, but lets just say hesitate to report them online.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    You mean I'll have to actually pay what something is worth? How bloody Un-American!

Can you imagine if we actually had to pay alien/migrant farm laborers full value?! Small family/cooperative farms might actually be able to compete with industrial farms, for one thing! Local Farmer's Markets could become mainstream instead of being "expensive" luxuries. There might be more vege gardens in the backyards of the McMansions, too. Not being able to afford a vacation to wherever due to the cost of food, at the end of summer the kids have to help with the harvest and then have a big family/neighborhood canning sessions. Dream on McVaughn...LOL!
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

And I pumped gasoline at the minimum wage of $1.65/hr (1973 or 74)...but I could attend a state university at $150 a year tuition (and keep my monthly expenses, including tuition, books, rent and food to about $200/month)!

A few years later I pumped gasoline again (1977) at the Grand Canyon for $2.20/hr...and they took pout $0.90/hr for room and board! But they did have an employee darkroom where I made my first prints! I eventually became the shift manager at $3.10/hr (still minus the $0.90/hr) and saved about $800 that summer for college -- good enough for only a quarter's worth of expenses, so did not attend the Fall quarter. I planted trees that Fall and early Winter in the local mountains at 2.9 cents per tree (about 1100 to 1600 trees per day -- a 12 hour day including travel time). Ah, the good old days! What did not kill us made us stronger!

Later the contractors I was planting trees for stop hiring us undependable and slow locals and ran crews of non-documented citizens of Mexico...but I was back in school by then. Later a bunch of us got together and bid on our own contracts -- making bids that paid ourselves $10/hour...camped out at the worksites and worked together instead of the the more cut-throat practices that piece-work tends to foster.

Doubt film/paper prices will drop

Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Doubt film/paper prices will drop
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Likewise when Chinese workers start demanding pay on parr with (Country of choice here) workers.

Computers, TV's everything at Walmart, where will it end
    I've been saying this for years now...

To your credit

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    I've been saying this for years now...
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Consulting the pineal gland

The reason that silver corrected so strongly was the raised comex margin requirement, which was intended to keep silver down amid a glut of eastern buying. Not so good for us long term, but it should keep supplies more affordable in the short term and help manufacturers.

Why is raising the margin requirements a bad thing? I am not knowledgable on all this, but it seems like if you buy $1000 worth of silver, you should pay $1000 for it -- and not a lower percentage on the hopes that the value will go up and you can pay what you "borrowed" to buy it when you sell it. Margins seem to be just a risk-inducing loan system.