Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: processing 2 sheets in a 6 sheet daylight tank?

processing 2 sheets in a 6 sheet daylight tank?

Processing small amounts of film in a daylight safe tank?

im processing 4x5 sheet film in a paterson 3 reel tank with one of those modphotographic reels made by morgan. how will things change if i wish to process 1 or 2 sheets at a time?

- any change in development time?
    - can the chemicals be reused to process a second batch of 2? although i dont think i would risk processing more than 4 sheets, in 2 batches.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: processing 2 sheets in a 6 sheet daylight tank?

Quote Originally Posted by dikaiosune01 View Post
    Processing small amounts of film in a daylight safe tank?

im processing 4x5 sheet film in a paterson 3 reel tank with one of those modphotographic reels made by morgan. how will things change if i wish to process 1 or 2 sheets at a time?

- any change in development time?
    - can the chemicals be reused to process a second batch of 2? although i dont think i would risk processing more than 4 sheets, in 2 batches.
    - any change in development time? No

Which chemicals are you using? Stock or diluted? I recommend using Kodak XTOL stock and replenishing 70ml/four 4"x5" for better tonality and small grain. Reference: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...?pq-path=14053

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I knew I forgot something.

I'm using Ilford ilfotech LC29; which cannot be replenished.

However, my rational is that, if the same amount of developer can be used to develop 4 sheets, can't the same developer be used to develop 4 sheets in 2 seperate batches?
    I need my errors point out please.

The Morgan system will need about 1000 ml of chemistry, regardless of how many sheets you include. This is not very cost effective with just two sheets. I have a Morgan which I find almost impossible for my stubborn old fingers to load. I thought of going to just 4 sheets but I already do this, Taco-style in the Paterson 2-reeler, for 800 ml, so why bother?

Perhaps I should mention that your Paterson 3-reeler will take 5 tacos (Long tacos with 4.5mm (1 3/4 inch) cloth Hair Bands across the 4'' dimension) for the same 1000ml. Still the chemistry is the same 200ml/sheet being no advantage over the 4-Taco system other than doing one more sheet per batch.

Quote Originally Posted by dikaiosune01 View Post
    I knew I forgot something.

I'm using Ilford ilfotech LC29; which cannot be replenished.

However, my rational is that, if the same amount of developer can be used to develop 4 sheets, can't the same developer be used to develop 4 sheets in 2 seperate batches?
    I need my errors point out please.
    NOt if you attempt to use the same development time. Developer is dirt cheap - loss of a valuable negative is not.
    Don't scrimp on developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Evans View Post
    The Morgan system will need about 1000 ml of chemistry, regardless of how many sheets you include. This is not very cost effective with just two sheets. I have a Morgan which I find almost impossible for my stubborn old fingers to load. I thought of going to just 4 sheets but I already do this, Taco-style in the Paterson 2-reeler, for 800 ml, so why bother?
    Tony:

Could you say a little more about this? Does this mean that you put four 4X5 "lining" into a Paterson daylight tank, emulsion side in? What keeps the negatives in place against the tank wall? Do you need to be careful with agitation? Do the negs go in 5" side down or 4" side down? Could you do this with two 5X7 negs? Sorry if these seem like silly questions.

Bill
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Bill,

Do a search on "Taco Development" here and on APUG, Photo.Net etc. There is a lot of info. In brief, roll the 4x5 negative length-wise (emulsion in) and hold with a 7 cm diameter cloth hair band (or rubber band). These are 4" high and 4 will sit comfortably in a Paterson 2-reeler standing around the central pillar (needed in place to ensure light-tightness). Similarly, roll crosswise and secure with a 4-5 cm diameter band making 5" high tacos. (With the 5" Tacos, I use two bands on each, placed about 1" from each end, to stop the Taco "Twisting"). Five of these will sit in the same way in the Paterson 3-reel tank. This is a very simple (& low capital cost system) using 200ml/sheet of developer (800 ml & 1000 ml respectively) and allows development by standard inversion, stand or semi-stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Evans View Post
    Bill,

Do a search on "Taco Development" here and on APUG, Photo.Net etc. There is a lot of info. In brief, roll the 4x5 negative length-wise (emulsion in) and hold with a 7 cm diameter cloth hair band (or rubber band). These are 4" high and 4 will sit comfortably in a Paterson 2-reeler standing around the central pillar (needed in place to ensure light-tightness). Similarly, roll crosswise and secure with a 4-5 cm diameter band making 5" high tacos. (With the 5" Tacos, I use two bands on each, placed about 1" from each end, to stop the Taco "Twisting"). Five of these will sit in the same way in the Paterson 3-reel tank. This is a very simple (& low capital cost system) using 200ml/sheet of developer (800 ml & 1000 ml respectively) and allows development by standard inversion, stand or semi-stand.
    This is great, Tony - thanks. I guess I can assume that whatever line might be create on the back of the neg from the rubber band will clear in the fixer. Will definitely give this a try. I'm guessing you could also do two or three 5X7s this way.

Thanks again -

Bill
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Bill,
    The cloth-elastic hair bands (a card of them is dirt cheap at the local drug store) do not leave a line. This is really a very simple and efficient developing method. Good luck.