Thread: Lightroom help needed

Lightroom help needed

Warning: Those of you who are very technically oriented and not able to understand the inefficiencies of some of the rest of should stop reading now!

I'm afraid I have to explain a small part of my ridiculous workflow to explain what I'm having trouble with. I scan my negatives with Vuescan, on the archive setting. I used to get files around 750-800 mb, which I would open in Picture Window Pro (a processing software) and resize to about 320 mb. I use this software because it is what I learned on about 5 years ago when I bought my first (and only DSLR). After resizing it I put it in Lightroom (which I got last year) and work on it. I then export back to PWP to do a few more adjustments before printing. I found that the exported file was always around 900 mb, so I resize again to about 320 mb. Why it got bigger in Lightroom I never knew.

I recently did something (I'm not sure what) in Vuescan so that my scans started being around 400mb. I may have been scanning 16 bit color before, and 16 bit grayscale now? I really don't know. But that is not the big problem. Now when I go to Lightroom and work on a file, then go to export it, it is around 2.2gb, much larger than I want! I think I may have accidentally clicked something with the mouse once when exporting, and changed some setting. I've tried looking at a book on Lightroom that I have to try to figure out what is going on, but I've gleaned nothing from that.

Any help at all from some patient soul would be appreciated.

Re: Lightroom help needed

There is nothing wrong with Picture Window Pro. Why bother with lightroom at all? I also use Vuescan set to scan 16 bit greyscale using the green or blue channel and multipass scanning. Its not that hard, just spend a little time looking at the options on the first page, anyway here is a screenshot of mine.

I am using LR3 most of it is really magic to me so not sure if I can be much help!

I looked at the export screen and see there is an option to set file size for export as well as file quality, color space and file type. Any of these would mess with the size of the exported file.
    david

Thanks, Davids. First David - I've been satisfied overall with Picture Window Pro, but Lightroom has some nifty development features that I like as well.

Second David - I'm glad I'm not alone out there! I'm not stupid, but I don't have a good resource for human help, and the only book I have is a bit overwhelming.

I did an online search and think I've found a satisfactory solution.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Thanks, Davids. First David - I've been satisfied overall with Picture Window Pro, but Lightroom has some nifty development features that I like as well.

Second David - I'm glad I'm not alone out there! I'm not stupid, but I don't have a good resource for human help, and the only book I have is a bit overwhelming.

I did an online search and think I've found a satisfactory solution.

Warning: Those of you who are very technically oriented and not able to understand the inefficiencies of some of the rest of should stop reading now!

I'm afraid I have to explain a small part of my ridiculous workflow to explain what I'm having trouble with. I scan my negatives with Vuescan, on the archive setting. I used to get files around 750-800 mb, which I would open in Picture Window Pro (a processing software) and resize to about 320 mb. I use this software because it is what I learned on about 5 years ago when I bought my first (and only DSLR). After resizing it I put it in Lightroom (which I got last year) and work on it. I then export back to PWP to do a few more adjustments before printing. I found that the exported file was always around 900 mb, so I resize again to about 320 mb. Why it got bigger in Lightroom I never knew.

I recently did something (I'm not sure what) in Vuescan so that my scans started being around 400mb. I may have been scanning 16 bit color before, and 16 bit grayscale now? I really don't know. But that is not the big problem. Now when I go to Lightroom and work on a file, then go to export it, it is around 2.2gb, much larger than I want! I think I may have accidentally clicked something with the mouse once when exporting, and changed some setting. I've tried looking at a book on Lightroom that I have to try to figure out what is going on, but I've gleaned nothing from that.

It sounds like to me that you enter Lightroom in greyscale and export back in RGB settings which will make your file size much larger. sounds pretty logical to me.

Aaah, you're right, Bob. Mystery soved!

Thanks!