Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: When will you give up large format and switch completely to digital?

Re: When will you give up large format and switch completely to digital?

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Many in this thread seem to think that camera automation precludes thinking on the part of the photographer. I don't get that. Cameras don't kill photographers, photographers kill photographers. A thinking approach to using a digital camera can reap large benefits even for large-format photographers.

Rick "thinking a digital camera provides the freedom to cheaply explore dumb ideas" Denney
    well said, Rick.

When will you give up large format and switch completely to digital?
    The question implies a pre-determined eventuality. It should ask: Will you give up large format and switch completely to digital?

Steve.

I'll die grasping a grafmatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The question implies a pre-determined eventuality. It should ask: Will you give up large format and switch completely to digital?
    Even that is a strawman. It is possible (though expensive and restrictive) to do large fomat using digital capture devices. That possibility may expand in the future. Many of us hope so.

I think it's a safe assumption that for those who choose to do color, or who lack the capability to coat their own emulsions (which is really a hobby in and of itself), switching to digital is indeed an eventuality, assuming they don't die first.

That Grafmatic being clutched by the poster after you in the thread may, after all, be empty.

It is also a valid question, despite all the rhetoric associated with it. How much should one invest in large-format film photography? The return on that investment may have to be positive in a shorter time than people hoped for. Or maybe not--we really don't know.

One thing I do know is something I learned from a retired colleague years ago. I was huffing and puffing about ill-advised changes at the agency where I worked, and he told me, "If you lay down an ultimatum, you'd better have one foot on the train." Those who assert that they will never, ever, ever, ever, switch to digital photography may find their resolve put to the test before they hoped.

Rick "who has invested a lot in film photography and hopes it stays available for a long, long time" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Those who assert that they will never, ever, ever, ever, switch to digital photography may find their resolve put to the test before they hoped.
    I did switch once.... then I switched back again.

Steve.

"Have you stopped beating your wife?" - Another question with an implied assumption of fact.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 29-Jul-2011 at 05:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    "Have you stopped beating your wife?" - Another question with an implied assumption of fact.
    Or, "How many will you be buying?".
    Better still, Stephen Colbert asking a sincere, hard-working politician "Why do you hate America?"

Drew Wiley

I get off the freeway after work. Go in the dkrm and clean a LF neg, focus etc. Mix up
    the RA4 and get the water tempering box going. Wheel my drum processor outside and
    hook it up to the drain. Expose a test strip. Dry it. Print the full 20x24. Sound like a hassle? I'm done in time for the evening news. Why would I want to spend way more
    time and money to scan and print the damn thing digitally? You call that progress?

I am shooting 4x5" just because I enjoy the process. And I would only give it up if the time, finances or availability of film and chemicals would get short. Time is a bit of issue recently, but I have hopes for improvements in the future. And I would like to try some darkroom printing other than just contact prints at some point.
    Matus

What's "evening news"?