Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: When will you give up large format and switch completely to digital?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

---

---
    Last edited by TAG; 16-Jan-2017 at 15:06.

Re: When will you give up large format and switch completely to digital?

For me it's only partially about quality. There is the whole process of shooting, and equally important, developing that I miss with digital, not to mention actually holding something!

Filling film holders, focusing and loading the camera, standing in a dark room for far too long with somewhat dangerous chemicals, coming out with a large negative that I can show off to people, and then making real prints is far too much to give up simply because technology has sort of caught up to the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamcase View Post
    For me it's only partially about quality. There is the whole process of shooting, and equally important, developing that I miss with digital, not to mention actually holding something!

Filling film holders, focusing and loading the camera, standing in a dark room for far too long with somewhat dangerous chemicals, coming out with a large negative that I can show off to people, and then making real prints is far too much to give up simply because technology has sort of caught up to the quality.
    Oh come on now, spend way too much on a digital that is "almost" as good of quality and then go to one of these nice large print labs who don't use inkjet, I'm talking Chromira(just got done changing bleach and stabilizer in the one I run) and ask if you can hang for the day and do some printing. Then you get all the chemicals plus the high pitches of the computers, fans, rollers, elevators, beeps, pops, lights and the jams, the lovely jams. Now do all this after you've spent a few minutes or hours staring at the computer, because you want it to look like film, hopefully you shot RAW, because you want the QUALITY. Alot of money and in the end possibly more time just to create something that is "almost" as good as film. Shoot film, scan it Hi Resolution and send it to someone you trust to print it right, and keep doing it until they get it right. Of course if you have a dark room and it's set up, stay there, keep your soul, digital has very little soul, film is full of it.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by New Hassel Man View Post
    Of course if you have a dark room and it's set up, stay there, keep your soul, digital has very little soul, film is full of it.
    Oh come on, most people's souls are so f'ing ugly.
    Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine.
    I'll show you my inkjet prints, though. They look better than most of what I was able to do in ten years in the darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamcase View Post

Not in my lifetime, however at my age that may not be too long.

Lynn

When I decrease my standards and expectations.

I already shoot digital in 35mm and MF.

LF is reserved for those images that require the absolute highest quality.

And as Graham said, the whole process of film photography is gratifying.

- Leigh

Either: 1) when Hell freezes over, or 2) when I can no longer delude myself that I actually enjoy the dubious pleasure of the LF experience.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Tomorrow.
    Or maybe not.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

What Graham said.
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

When pigs fly!!!!!! I already have to shoot some of my commercial projects on digital in self defense since the marketing people are immersed in instant gratification, but I will always prefer film, and especially large format, when possible and always for personal projects! It's just a huge amount more fun and more thoughtful a process!
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg