Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deletion of posts

Re: Deletion of posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    My reply to Geralds question regarding the posting of 6x17 images was also deleted - I had merely indicated that there had been a specific thread for these images. Is even the discussion of 6x17 now completely verboten ?? Bring on the thought police .....
    Most times one does not get to read the post that "broke the camel's back". On a recently pulled thread (on obesity) I was working on a post about my bicycle commute and when I tried to upload an image, I got "invalid link". I eventually worked out that the thread was deleted, but missed the final post of two.

So, it may not be "thought police" but just a nasty post you did not see before the thread was deleted.

Vaughn

I fully appreciate the moderators' efforts here, and in the end, I believe that anyone too upset over the moderators' work, can leave and probably will not be missed -- except for perhaps their entertainment value.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    So, it may not be "thought police" but just a nasty post you did not see before the thread was deleted.
    The thread still exists, the deletion of posts was very selective. How does that help Gerald, who is a new member ?

Rob
    Last edited by RJC; 6-May-2011 at 10:02. Reason: sp'lin' ... damned keyboard

Can't help you. It was not a soft deletion and left no record. It was not me.

FWIW, when a thread goes wrong I don't do allot of hand wringing over which posts should go or stay. This job doesn't pay enough to lose sleep over. I apply a very broad brush. If people don't like it....well its just a silly online forum.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

The author of the thread also chimed in, and asked there to be no more posts with this kind of discussion, so I think thats why they where deleted, and not just "removed".

Quote Originally Posted by RJC View Post
    The thread still exists, the deletion of posts was very selective. How does that help Gerald, who is a new member ?

Rob
    I am afraid it does not help directly since it was an individual post that was deleted, and not the example I gave of a thread deletion. My error. But perhaps it will inform him in his future use of this forum, and thus be of some indirect help.

Vaughn

Kirk,

One thing that would help the assembled masses is a change in the way the New Posts search works.

As it is, it takes into account whether or not I have looked at a particular thread. If so, it won't show up when I click on New Posts.

This is a terrible inconvenience.

I frequently want to revisit a thread, for any number of reasons, and I'm left to search individual sections to find the thread of interest.

This is not default behavior for vBulletin. Somebody had to set up this option specifically. I'm active on many fora that use vBulletin, including being moderator on one very busy site. None of the other sites have this option set on the New Posts search.

If you could reset that option so it doesn't care whether or not I've viewed a particular thread, and returns results based solely on the time stamp, it would greatly facilitate making changes to our own posts.

Thanks.

- Leigh

Well, he'll certainly be informed that asking a simple question regarding a particular image format can be deemed offensive, and is unlikely to receive the courtesy of an explanation. Sad.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    ...in the end, I believe that anyone too upset over the moderators' work, can leave and probably will not be missed -- except for perhaps their entertainment value...
    I do not find them in the least entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    ...I apply a very broad brush...
    The broader, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Kirk,

One thing that would help the assembled masses is a change in the way the New Posts search works.

As it is, it takes into account whether or not I have looked at a particular thread. If so, it won't show up when I click on New Posts.

This is a terrible inconvenience.

I frequently want to revisit a thread, for any number of reasons, and I'm left to search individual sections to find the thread of interest.

This is not default behavior for vBulletin. Somebody had to set up this option specifically. I'm active on many fora that use vBulletin, including being moderator on one very busy site. None of the other sites have this option set on the New Posts search.

If you could reset that option so it doesn't care whether or not I've viewed a particular thread, and returns results based solely on the time stamp, it would greatly facilitate making changes to our own posts.

Thanks.

- Leigh
    We have been through this discussion before. Send an email to all the moderators via the button in the bottom right explaining your request (contact us). I have NOTHING to do with the setup of the software. That email will make sure your request gets to the guy who can make changes in the software.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

My apologies. I didn't realize we had discussed this previously.

I shall do as you suggest.

Thanks.

- Leigh