Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non 4x5" 'instant film' for 4x5" camera?

Electron and ion microscopist

Non 4x5" 'instant film' for 4x5" camera?

Hey

I am new to this forum, sorry if this question has been asked before.

About 5 years ago I used Polaroid sheet film in my 4x5" camera. I mainly used the 54 black and white version. Now I want to do this again, but it seems all production of these films has ended. The ones I find in the Impossible Project web shop are too expensive.

Some 'instant films' are easily available in Sweden (where I live). The store where I usually shop lists these in their web shop: Fujifilm Instant Fp100 C, Impossible film for Polaroid 600, for Polaroid SX-70 and for Polaroid Image.

My question is: Is there an adapter or some thing that I can buy that will let me use any of these films on my 4x5" camera?

I cant find the size of these films, but I guess they are much smaller than the Polaroid 4x5" sheet film I used to use. What size are the ones I mentioned above?

Thanks!

/Filip

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Non 4x5" 'instant film' for 4x5" camera?

Welcome to the forum!

The Polaroid 550 holder can use the Fuji 4x5 packs. There is also a Fuji holder, which lists for $200.

Thanks

The Fuji 4x5 packs does not seem to be available in Sweden. I called Fuji-Sweden and asked about Fuji instant 4x5 and they said I should forget it.

Do you know of any store where I can buy Fuji Instant 4x5 that would be likely to ship to Sweden?

You can see what films are available here locally at these link:
    http://www.scandinavianphoto.se/prod...px?sid=6196443
    http://www.scandinavianphoto.se/prod...px?sid=6196505

I tend to buy mine at Fuji UK: http://www.fujilab.co.uk/catalog/fuj...ack-p-732.html - that seems to be the official outlet for Europe. Shipping to Germany takes about one week.

You can also get the Polaroid 405 or Fuji PA-145 holder (I think), which will allow you to shoot the smaller FP-100C (not the FP-100C45) in a 4x5 camera. I have one and I love it. The size is 3.25 x 4.25 inches, which is not too small for me, especially since this film is much more affordable than the FP-100C45.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Thank you yeknom02, that was just the thing I was trying to ask about. A holder that fits my 4x5 camera and is suitable for the smaller (cheaper) Fuji instant film.

Ok, the size is 3.25 x 4.25 inches for the smaller film, that is large enough for me I think. Now, where can I buy a Polaroid 405 or a Fuji PA-145 holder (can anyone verify that the Fuji holder is the correct one)? On Fuji UK (http://www.fujilab.co.uk/catalog/cam...cks-c-125.html) I can only see one holder which I guess is for 4x5".

Will any of the films I mentioned before (Impossible film for Polaroid 600, for Polaroid SX-70 and for Polaroid Image) fit this holder?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenrick View Post
    Will any of the films I mentioned before (Impossible film for Polaroid 600, for Polaroid SX-70 and for Polaroid Image) fit this holder?
    In a word, no.
    To my knowledge, the IP is NOT about peel-apart films, so don't hold your breath waiting for a resurrected Type 55 or the like.
    Fuji has stepped up admirably, and made an excellent quality peel-apart instant film.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    In a word, no.
    To my knowledge, the IP is NOT about peel-apart films.
    The former Polaroid factory they operate was a integral film plant and they aren't even there yet with reverse engineering the integral production after something like two years, even though they have the gear and expert staff. Whatever their peel-apart plans may be, you'd better not hold your breath...

Hi Lenrick,

Confirmed, the PA-45 is for full sized 4x5 instants and the PA-145 is for the smaller

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...roducts_id=229

You may be able to find these on Ebay or perhaps this sites "For Sale" section. Note: it takes 30-days of membership before one can use that area.

The Fujifilm is excellent and I believe some artists on this forum are using it in their work.

Small Vs full-size I prefer the 4x5 as it shows FoV more accurately.

The Impossible Project missed the 4x5 peel apart equipment before it was scrapped by Polaroid but they managed to get the 8x10. They have said they will pursue 8x10 peel apart in the future. Their latest film is actually pretty good. If Fujifilm had an 8x10 in peel apart that matched their color instant it would be nirvana.

Best Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tim

Just to be very super-clear on all the details.

If I want to take 4x5" images I can use "FUJIFILM FP-100c54" with a Polaroid 550 holder or a Fuji PA 45 holder.

If I want to take 3.25 x 4.25" images I can use "FUJIFILM FP-100c" with a Polaroid 405 holder or Fuji PA-145 holder.

All of these holders, except the Fuji PA 45, are hard to find (meaning I have to look for them on e-bay or likewise).

The Polaroid 545 holder (http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Polaroid_545) I used for my old Polaroid 55 and 54 will not work with any of Fujis Instant films? Is this holder good for anything now-days?