Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of tanks for 5x7?

What kind of tanks for 5x7?

Hi - it's my first post here
    I woul'd like to buy a tank for developing 5x7 sheets. I'm thinking about jobo 3006 or Paterson Orbital. First is very expensive but probably very good and very economic. My knowledge about second one is small. Both of them are very hard to buy in my country.
    I much already read about jobos but I'm interesting it from the practicality - the practical side of the use and the convenience of the work. If I already buy I would like to be pleased with it...
    I apologise for my English...

Re: What kind of tanks for 5x7?

Hello jedrzej66 - and welcome here.

To answer you question, I use Jobo 2830 print drum to develop 13x18cm/5x7" sheets of film. It's best used together with a roller base (Unicolor Uniroller in my case). I use just 7ml-8ml of Rodinal in 1:50 dillution to develop 4 sheets of film, and that is quite economical. As for practicality, I am not looking to change my developing routine, it's the best from all that I have tried (tray development, Combiplan tanks for 4x5", steel tank for 3x4"). And the Jobo 2830 tank is not that expensive (I think you can get one for less than US$100).

Hope this helps

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

Thank you Jiri for your answer.
    I wachted jobo 2830 (in net, of course) and everywhere it is described as a tank for papers (prints). I don't know how it looks inside - has any spiral or handle...? But, if you are using it succesfully, I belive .
    I think it will be possible to use it without any processor... to roll of it after the table.... And is much, much cheaper then 3006.
    Jędrzej

Lately I've been doing 2 5x7s in either or a Chromega or a Unicolor 8x10 print drum. I used to do 4 in 11x14 print drums, but I had a lot of problems with negatives getting loose and finally gave up. The 8x10 drums are pretty reliable currently. Chromega drums are better but a little harder to find. Unicolor drums are fine but sometimes they leak. I ended up throwing out a few of them that leaked badly, they could probably be repaired but I just want stuff I can rely on at this point.

Anyway, 5x7 is hard. You can do 10 4x5s in a Jobo 3010 or 5 5x7s. I have one of those too. But I usually have it jammed up with 4x5s so I do the 5x7s in the 8x10 print drums.

I use Cibachrome 8x10 drums for 5x7 single sheets. They fit in easily and once the liquid is applied they stick to the side of the drum and don't move at all. Very little chemistry is required, too. Not a good system for high volume processing, but my 5x7 shooting is rather infrequent.

Jonathan

Have you looked at the BTZS tubes. I use them for 8x10 and 5x7. Not expensive and easy to use.

I recommend the 3006 Jobo Expert Drum. I use that and a 3005 on a Jobo. The give the most even development of all the techniques I have tried. In my opinion they are worth the price premium, if you can find one.

I like the Unicolor 8x10 drum. You can develop two 5x7 or four 4x5 sheets. I had two drums, but one didn't survive a drop test, had a big crack in the base so I had to toss it. They work fine. I too had an 11x14 drum, had the same problems as the previous poster. Good luck.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Now I am in a fix
    Everyone has own experience.
    Larry - I know that 3006 may be the best option but is extremely expensive.
    After all I but will probably buy JOBO 2830
    I'm thanking everyone for help

Jedrzej, if you are buying the Jobo 2830, make sure these clips (as shown in the following thread "What parts are these?") are included. They are used to secure film sheets so they do not overlap during development... and do read all the posts in that thread, might contain some valuable info...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").