Thread: Art Chicago

Art Chicago

I went twice over the weekend. For those who don't know what this is, it is four days of fun at the Merchandise Mart where galleries from around the country set up displays to show works of artists they represent.

I was mainly interested in photography and was pleasantly surprised by some of what I saw. First off I don't think anyone prints small anymore, every new print was Giant. Nick Brant's wildlife photos were in platinum and some inkjet, both looked good.

Misha Gordin's prints were interesting to look at. These were in the Verve Gallery.
    I saw some photos by (Metzger) I think. I can't remember the name and a search didn't turn up the photos I saw. I really should take notes. These were vintage prints as well but were in a different gallery.

Light Work has work by emerging and mid career artists. The work by Carrie Mae Weems stood out. Griffin Editions in NYC did the printing on silver paper.

The Barry Singer Gallery had vintage prints. A 20x24 Moonrise framed. Drew me in from across the room. An Edward Weston 4x5 of Charis nude, beautifully done. Man she had some hairy legs. There were other vintage prints by famous photogs that were a joy to look at too, but the best for me were Brett Weston's prints. All but one were from 1946 White Sands NM. Beautiful.

chris

Re: Art Chicago

Chris,
    No question about the Brett Weston photographs. I've seen quite a few in person and they are great..Evan Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    I went twice over the weekend. For those who don't know what this is, it is four days of fun at the Merchandise Mart where galleries from around the country set up displays to show works of artists they represent.

I was mainly interested in photography and was pleasantly surprised by some of what I saw. First off I don't think anyone prints small anymore, every new print was Giant. Nick Brant's wildlife photos were in platinum and some inkjet, both looked good.

Misha Gordin's prints were interesting to look at. These were in the Verve Gallery.
    I saw some photos by (Metzger) I think. I can't remember the name and a search didn't turn up the photos I saw. I really should take notes. These were vintage prints as well but were in a different gallery.

Light Work has work by emerging and mid career artists. The work by Carrie Mae Weems stood out. Griffin Editions in NYC did the printing on silver paper.

The Barry Singer Gallery had vintage prints. A 20x24 Moonrise framed. Drew me in from across the room. An Edward Weston 4x5 of Charis nude, beautifully done. Man she had some hairy legs. There were other vintage prints by famous photogs that were a joy to look at too, but the best for me were Brett Weston's prints. All but one were from 1946 White Sands NM. Beautiful.

chris