Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Use a scanner or a DSLR to scan slides and negs

Re: Use a scanner or a DSLR to scan slides and negs

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    I am considering everything you are all saying. I need to (i) see exactly how many slides and negs I have, (ii) estimate how long it would take to scan them with the Coolscan 5000. If the number of hours is just too long for my assistant to handle, then I may have to look into the DSLR approach which is quicker but (i) requires equipment that I don't have (inlcuding a proper lens, rail, soft-lighting; even my Nikon D700 is not ideal for this), (ii) does not allow for easy dust elimination (i.e. digital ICE), (iii) probably does not give the same color depth as the Coolscan 5000.

Maybe the compromise would be to get everything scanned in quickly with a DSLR, and then collate the winners digitally and if needed, scan with the Coolscan 5000.

Btw, thank you for pointing out the archival issue. What I have done is to create three copies of digital portfolio. Every couple of years I retire one hard drive and replace it with a new one. Periodically, I do a bit for bit comparison of two drives. Eventually, I will put another copy on blu-ray.
    You must have the light source. It can be an illuminator or even a strobe that is properly diffused. Or an evenly lit neutral colored wall.

For Americans spending dollars these days, Euro prices are really scary....but other than that it looks very nice. Would I be able to attach my Nikkor 135mm large format macro lens easily to this set-up? For lighting, a small Gepe Pro illuminator would do the trick?
    Yes to both if you use the BALPRO 1 or BALPRO T/S bellows system with the proper adapters.

That's awesome! I love making use of what one already has. How do you make sure it all lines up properly (don't you need some kind of a rail?). And can you describe your light set-up a bit more? How about using a Gepe Pro illuminator, which I think would be only around $50. Also check-out this article, which might have some tips to improve the workflow and exposure. http://www.dpbestflow.org/camera-scan-workflow
    Everthing lines up because the CASTELCOP DIGI rails fit into the holes in the CASTEL focus racks or the Novoflex bellows systems and lock in place when you have the CASTELCOP DIGI at the desired position. The only trick is to put a couple of guide strips where you want the slide centered on the CASTELCOP DIGI. The clips on the CASTELCOP DIGI will hold the slide mount or film in the proper position.

Yes the Gepe Pro boxes will work bu if you are looking at the smaller ones, 4x5 or 5x7 lit area, be aware that the AC adapter is now an accessory and not included with these two units. That changed April 1.

expanding on my previous post my studio has a glass roof which i control with curtains ,
    everything i shoot is daylight so it didn,t occur to me to otherwise with this system. So with the light coming from above the white card at 45 degrees is an even light source.
    I have copied 35mm 120 6x7 6x9 5x4 and 10x8 negs with this system , shutting down to f8 cuts out any dof issues , using the canon software means i can go to 5X 10X zooms on screen to focus, I have just about recorded my film archive,otherwise i would have made a less heath robinson system. great links Rider and Peter
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/voigtf64/

Quote Originally Posted by voigtf64 View Post
    expanding on my previous post my studio has a glass roof which i control with curtains ,
    everything i shoot is daylight so it didn,t occur to me to otherwise with this system. So with the light coming from above the white card at 45 degrees is an even light source.
    I have copied 35mm 120 6x7 6x9 5x4 and 10x8 negs with this system , shutting down to f8 cuts out any dof issues , using the canon software means i can go to 5X 10X zooms on screen to focus, I have just about recorded my film archive,otherwise i would have made a less heath robinson system. great links Rider and Peter
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/voigtf64/
    I like your photostream. The 6x6 frost and tree shots are especially mesmerizing.

Without appearing too dense, can I ask two questions:

(1) Do you shield the neg from light coming directly through the glass ceiling, so that all light comes from the back off the card?

(2) I assume you use some kind of rail system to keep everything nice and even?

Btw, that sounds like a nice set-up for a studio!

Rider, thanks for your comments, no light shielding necessary, and the neg holder is securely fixed to a work surface and the camera is on a tripod clamped to the work surface. The most important bit is to have a bellows set up that has the two sets of rails that is front and back focus on the top and everything back and forth on the bottom rails .Also two possible alternatives are a computer screen at a distance behind the neg as a light source with your browser on a blank page and using a tile cutter as a parallel set of rails . http://www.flickr.com/photos/voigtf64/