Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use a scanner or a DSLR to scan slides and negs

Use a scanner or a DSLR to scan slides and negs

I have several thousand 35mm, medium format and 4x5 slides and negatives of all types that I would like to scan.

For the 35mm, I have a Nikon Coolscan 5000 scanner, and for the medium format and 4x5 I have an Epson 4990.

Alternatively, I heard that it's possible to use a DSLR for this task.

Once I firgure out the best way to do it, I plan to hire someone to do the scanning using my equipment.

Is it better to use scanners or DSLRs for this task?

Re: Use a scanner or a DSLR to scan slides and negs

It all comes down to the numbers. Scanning a 4x5 can return a resolution of 2000-2400 ppi; taking a digital image on a 14 megapixel Canon G10 will yield a resolution of around 828 ppi.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

I would have to ask, what's the end purpose of the digitized images?

If for historically archiving national treasures, then dedicated film scanning is appropriate. This is labor intensive, as you will need to preview the negatives to make/choose scanner profiles for each of the different film emulsion types to be scanned.

The DSLR approach would be quicker, but image quality may unacceptably suffer.

You may wish to outsource this project to sites like, Scan Cafe, FotoBridge, and others.

http://www.scancafe.com/

http://www.fotobridge.com/index.php

I want to get the maximum quality possible for archival. If I scan, I would use Vuescan to produce a "RAW" file (possibly with a 4th dust layer) that can be processed and adjusted later.

My usual answer to questions like these is why? Are you intending to make several thousand prints or put several thousand images on a website?

If not, why not just scan them as and when you need them and take the time to get a good scan for each one you want to use rather than spending the rest of your life scanning images which will probably not be used.

Do not consider the file of a scan to be archival. The original slide or negative will probably outlive it by many years.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Do not consider the file of a scan to be archival. The original slide or negative will probably outlive it by many years.
    … and whatever you do, don't rely on CDs or DVDs for long term storage; the cheaper ones have been known to lose data after less than five years.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    It all comes down to the numbers. Scanning a 4x5 can return a resolution of 2000-2400 ppi; taking a digital image on a 14 megapixel Canon G10 will yield a resolution of around 828 ppi.
    On the other hand, taking a matrix of 1:1 macro shots using a real macro lens properly aligned, focused and lighted through and then stitching the results (which shouldn't be too taxing since it's the flat field) should yield somewhere between 3500 ppi for Canon 5dII and 5800 ppi for the newest APS-C Canon DSLRs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Why not? The Library of Congress is doing just that. I think they know what they are doing...

I agree with Joanna about the choice of storage medium, but that's another story altogether.

As for the rest, perhaps we should assume that the OP knows what he wants and why he wants it, and concentrate on trying to help him figure out how to do it if we can.

Marko

Of the the two choices available, definately scanning.

My suggestion, not knowing what your archiving, or what your standards are, is to create categories of quality level. Commercial shots and "keepers" should be scanned on the highest end scanner available. Vuescan doesn't run on any high end commercial scanner that I know of.

Those of lesser value can be scanned on a consumer flatbed, with vuescan.

The not so valuable "memory" shots can be done with a dslr of adequate quality on a proper copy setup, knowing that will be great for TV slide shows or web use.

Digital archiving is a difficult subject because of the non permanence of storage materials. Though with active effort they can be refreshed every few years on new media with latest standards.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Why not? The Library of Congress is doing just that. I think they know what they are doing...
    It doesn't matter how you store it, it's still an inferior copy of the original.

Steve.

hacker extraordinaire

I don't have a DSLR, but I have been very interested in DSLR scanning for several reasons:

Resolution: Consumer flatbeds cannot scan 35mm to high quality. I believe a macro shot with a DSLR may be able to do better, at least in resolution, and a DSLR would be more versatile than say a Nikon dedicated 35mm scanner. And it would be faster anyway.

Speed: It seems way faster to take a shot on a copy stand than to scan film. Scanning film is a major A-1 pain in the neck to me. It's so slow. And the image needs edited anyway. For putting stuff on the web, I want something that is easy. I would love to be able to take a shot of film or prints with a (tethered?) DSLR and have a more-or-less uploadable image.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.