Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Change scanner glass Epson V750 to anti newton

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Change scanner glass Epson V750 to anti newton

Hi,

I plan to change the scanner glass in my Epson V750 to an anti newton glass, because I use it only to scan 8x10 inch film. I found the attached drawing. I guess no. 109 is the scanner glass, does anyone know the exact measurements and the thickness of this glass? Thank you.

Best,
    Johannes

Re: Change scanner glass Epson V750 to anti newton

Sounds like a good idea.

I simply flip my 8x10 emulsion up, and place an anti-newton ring glass on top. 99% I get no newton rings.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Sounds like a good idea.

I simply flip my 8x10 emulsion up, and place an anti-newton ring glass on top. 99% I get no newton rings.
    Which side of the neg do you put on the scanner glass? In my experience the emulsion side gives less trouble with newton rings. To keep the film flat I put a second anti newton glass on top of the film.

Best,
    Johannes

Anti-newton glass should be used in contact with the smooth (non-emulsion) side of the negative. That's where the Newton rings appear.

But the glass in the V750 lid doesn't touch the negative in the first place, so there should never be any Newton rings in the scan.

An anti-NR glass on top of the negative to keep it flat would be in addition to the glass installed in the lid, and would not interfere with it.

- Leigh

Octogenarian

The Epson V750 scanner is designed with the sensor in the bottom section and the light in the top section.

Replacing the clear scanner glass with anti-Newton glass will result in sensor needing to read through the textured (lightly frosted) anti-Newton glass before it reads the negative.

Your scans will not be sharp.

It's the wrong thing to do.

A Screen Cezanne scans through an anti-Newton textured bed. According the Seybold Report, the Cezanne is capable of capturing about 6000 spi. It's not intuitive, and so I tested it by replacing the textured bed with optical glass. When I wet-mounted film to the clear glass using Kami, there was no increase in scan quality over using the textured scanning bed.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Octogenarian

Peter,

Bob McCarthy's Screen Cezanne has a fixed sensor above, with the light coming up from the bottom. The opposite configuration of the Epson V750.

During scanning, the bottom section with the light moves while the sensor in the top section remains stationary. The Screen Cezanne's sensor reads the negative first, then passes through the textured anti-Newton glass.

The AN glass does not come between the sensor and the negative.

Un-like the SC, both the light and the sensor move during scanning with the V750.

Eugene, the lamps are above and the sensor is beneath the moving table. Maybe you were thinking reflective scanning where the lower lamps are lit.

The sensor reads through the sandwich = anti newton acrylic below - film - hold down clamp acrylic above

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Peter,

Bob McCarthy's Screen Cezanne has a fixed sensor above, with the light coming up from the bottom. The opposite configuration of the Epson V750.

During scanning, the bottom section with the light moves while the sensor in the top section remains stationary. The Screen Cezanne's sensor reads the negative first, then passes through the textured anti-Newton glass.

The AN glass does not come between the sensor and the negative.

Un-like the SC, both the light and the sensor move during scanning with the V750.

Octogenarian

I was mistaken about the position of the sensor in the Screen Cezanne. Sorry about that.

For my own satisfaction, I just performed a scan with my Epson V750 where I placed a 5x7 negative so that the scanners' sensor would need to pass through a piece of anti-Newton glass before reading the film.

Scanned it as 16 bit grayscale at 2400 dpi. Sent it to Photoshop and blew it up to 100%. At that magnification, I was just barely able to detect the texture of the anti-newton glass. At 200%, it was easily seen.

Perhaps the higher quality of the lens and focusing mechanism of the Screen Cezanne, as well as it's finer textured anti-Newton glass, accounts for the difference.

I still feel that it's not a good idea to allow the sensor of the Epson V750 to pass through anti-Newton glass before reading a negative or transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post

Perhaps the higher quality of the lens and focusing mechanism of the Screen Cezanne, as well as it's finer textured anti-Newton glass, accounts for the difference.
    I think you're right. I was very surprised by the results of my tests. It's very counter-intuitive.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know