Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Developing film in jobo 2820 test drum

Overworked and Underpaid Guy

Developing film in jobo 2820 test drum

Hi, I have a 2820 test drum and recently read some discussion about developing film in print drum (http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=25646&page=2). I tired using it to develop films, but sometime my wing clip will fall off during developing. It also blocks chemical from reaching the spot with the clip and cause a small dot on the film. Anyone has any idea on developing without the clip? They wrote something about a "blanket", but I am not sure what it is.

Lachlan 717

Re: Developing film in jobo 2820 test drum

What format are you trying to develop?

Have you had a look at Jobo's site where there is a diagram to show how to load sheets relative to the ribs inside the tank?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

アナログ侘・寂

Quote Originally Posted by WootSK View Post
    They wrote something about a "blanket", but I am not sure what it is.
    The "blanket" is described here: if you take a look at that web page, you will understand what is a "blanket": it's a piece of flexible plastic on which you place the negative(s), and then roll everything and insert the whole thing in the drum.

2820 holds only two 4x5 sheets. If you use the clips for loading, after the film is loaded, take the clips off. That keeps them from coming off and possibly causing a problem.

I have had good luck with mine for the few times I need to see a 4x5 sheet right away.

The 2820 test drum has the same body as the 25 series developing tank. This allows you to use 2509n reels allowing you to develop 6 sheets at one time.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty230358 View Post
    The 2820 test drum has the same body as the 25 series developing tank. This allows you to use 2509n reels allowing you to develop 6 sheets at one time.
    Have you tried these without the centre column? There is a locking lug on the column to ensure they spin with the tank. Without these, the reels might not spin well.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Thanks for all the help. After some thinking, I tested pre-loading with some clips that has no wings and slide my films into the slot for 4*5. It works and and doesn't falls off. The important point is that unlike the wing, it doesn't blocks the chemical from reaching my film. Sadly I wasted a nice photo due to the wing clip. Taking it easy as lesson learned and I will load new drum and test with water before using on actual films.

The site for the blanket seems like a very good idea and I am thinking of DIY one when free if they don't sell it outside.

The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Have you tried these without the centre column? There is a locking lug on the column to ensure they spin with the tank. Without these, the reels might not spin well.
    I just tried the 2820 Test Drum with the 2509 reel. I DID have the center column. The result was excellent. No mottling, even development. I only put four sheets on the reel. I've read too many opinions about 6 sheets occasionally causing problems. I'd rather not find out the hard way that they're right.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I just tried the 2820 Test Drum with the 2509 reel. I DID have the center column. The result was excellent. No mottling, even development. I only put four sheets on the reel. I've read too many opinions about 6 sheets occasionally causing problems. I'd rather not find out the hard way that they're right.
    Well they are not right. It's just a myth perpetuated by people who probably haven't figured out the correct way of loading the reel. If you spend a few minutes in daylight with a practice sheet you will see exactly how each sheet is to be inserted in its slot and the structures Jobo placed on the reel so that you can determine in the dark with you fingers whether or not each sheet is, in fact, inserted correctly. The only other "occasional" problem that you would have with developing 6 sheets is if you used an insufficient volume of developer.

Thomas