Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what went wrong here ?

what went wrong here ?

Please have a look at the two scanned images: they come from the same 8x10 Toyo holder (side 1 and side 2), were exposed one after the other and developed together in a Jobo 3005.

They both show a nearly exact same pattern of light leak, appartently starting from the same place at opposite side of the darkslide opening; if it were a light leak in the holder, I would expect it to be a "mirrored" pattern (meaning the pattern on side 2 would be a mirror of the one on side 1) instead of the same pattern, or am I wrong ? Does this mean the leak was there while the darkslide was out and not before ? Otherwise, the leak would have occured on both sides at the same time and would be mirrored, right ?

Furthermore, about 5/6th down from the top, the image is clearly more exposed, again on both pictures at the exact same height, but more noticable on the first picture (the scan does not show this very good) .. How is this possible ?

It was the first time I used this film holder.

Thanks for your help,
    Stefan.

Re: what went wrong here ?

Looking at the angle of the main illumination, it looks like it could either be flare, or, at least a light leak in the bellows???
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

not the holder--it's the camera---probably something between the camera back and the holder at the bottom of the camera---leaf??? something fell down there and got caught at the light seal between the camera back and the holder---if it was the holder, it'd only be the one side---if it was the film messed up, you wouldn't have the black borders.

check your camera backfor foreign debris or damage

My bet is that the bellows at the rear were not properly attached, due to the fog line at the bottom.
    A pinhole would not make that line (I think).
    What camera? Sinar?

I just checked the camera, but did not notice anything special there. It all seems to close fine. I did not check with a holder inserted though. I'll check that tomorrow (the holder is is in use right now, as I've put some unexposed paper in it and had it in the sun this afternoon to check for leaks; I still have to develop the paper).

How about the darker part at the bottom ? Any ideas ?

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
    My bet is that the bellows at the rear were not properly attached, due to the fog line at the bottom.
    A pinhole would not make that line (I think).
    What camera? Sinar?
    No, Toyo 810M. I just checked the bellows (I've never loosened them and never had a problem before); I don't see any leaks.

Come to think of it: it was with a 19" lens and from a short distance, so the bellows were rather stretched; maybe they did not close enough anymore when stretched like that. I'll have to check that.

well--good luck---but it can't be the holder I'd say---if so, the light would be coming in and fog the edges too---the edges are black--so it's not a holder light leak---also--if the holder has a leak, say with a cracked darkslide---you'd have to have two identical cracks....the light pattern is identical--would be very conincidental to have the holder with two identical flaws on both sides---positioned just right---on on one side and another on the other side....maybe the lensboard is leaking too....but light is getting in--looks like unfocused light streaming in from somewhere in the camera

Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    well--good luck---but it can't be the holder I'd say---if so, the light would be coming in and fog the edges too---the edges are black--so it's not a holder light leak---also--if the holder has a leak, say with a cracked darkslide---you'd have to have two identical cracks....the light pattern is identical--would be very conincidental to have the holder with two identical flaws on both sides---positioned just right---on on one side and another on the other side....maybe the lensboard is leaking too....but light is getting in--looks like unfocused light streaming in from somewhere in the camera
    I agree with you on the holder probably not having a problem. I'll check in daylight, first setting up the camera again as it was, the removing the lensboard to look at the back for leaks, and then the back to look at the lensboard for leaks.

I'm not sure if I should hope to find something or not; maybe I was just a bit clumsy in inserting the holder (but then I should have been clumsy twice ...).

The Rookie

The dark part on the bottom looks like correct exposure to me. That means it was shadowed from the errant light. Since the bottom is the top as it sits in the camera, I would suspect that the light leak is in the bellows near the back left on top. Perhaps where the bellows meet the camera back.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Big Negs Rock!

Hello Stefan, put the "bad" neg back in the camera to evaluate the problem. Contrary to what has been said, I would look at your lens board and see if there is a missing screw below the lens, or some other anomaly. It clearly is not the holder since the black area on the edges are not exposed. Also, since there is a specific pattern, that leads me to believe that there is a reflection in there too. You could put a bright flashlight inside of the bellows and look at the lens board or vis versa. Good luck, keep us posted.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com