Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting a studio

Painting a studio

So I want to use a rather large and bare wall as a background. Naturally I want it to be white. I could just go and purchase white paint but it seems to me that the true "whiteness" of my studio wall would depend on the lighting conditions and the color cast of the lights illuminating it. How would I adjust for that when deciding what color to paint the wall? Is it just "the whiter the better"?

PS I didn't know which forum this question belonged in. There is a "Location and Travel" forum which is dedicated to locations outdoors, but not a "Studio Photography" forum?

Re: Painting a studio

well,

watch this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsbGJoX8KsA

and you can decide which color to paint it. Basically, you can make a white wall black, and a black wall white. It just depends on how much light power you have at your disposal .

-Dan

For pure white, "over-" light the background until a REFLECTIVE reading gives you two stops more than an INCIDENT reading of the subject. This is true of either a flash meter or an ambient meter reading.

It is also true, regardless of the original color of the background. To paraphrase what Daniel says, you can turn black into white by using this formula although it will take much more power to achieve the two stop difference and any fall off toward the edges will go much darker.

For best and most even coverage, the background lights should be in umbrellas, preferably white. While twolights (one on each side) at about subject height will do, four (two high and two low) will give a much more even light over the full background out to the corners.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    ...Naturally I want it to be white...
    Think twice about that. A shaded gray would work in counterpoint to your personal way of lighting. Clean white was for when knock-outs were done by hand.

+1 on the light gray.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    It just depends on how much light power you have at your disposal .

-Dan
    Thanks
    The reason why I wanted to paint it white is because I don't have a lot of power at my disposal.

I'd go black. You can put white wherever you want light to be with cheap foamcore, but you'll have more control over where that is. A totally white room would define your lighting style.

Big Negs Rock!

18% gray. Much more versatile.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Some of these preferencial answers kind of aside the point in my opin. I would not paint the wall other than white or very light grey. I have a regular front room of my house devoted to my studio, it has a lot of warm wood that casts reds and yellows into the mix. You can white balance or filter an over all cast out or if you understand how, & Photoshop can remove said casts a tool that can be used as well. I personally go with large rolls of seamless to be able to change the background. Always turn off room lighting and only use the strobes or set related props to contribute or use ambient and go with filters or white balancing. I agree with the Dean Collins vid.

Here are a couple of shots I did fairly recently in said room, maybe not the most dramatic but well liked by the customers.

http://www.gbphotoworks.com/events.html
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

I used to use seamless paper all the time, and when I had no money for more than one roll, I would always buy white.
    White can become any shade of gray, black or white with a little bit of lighting, careful control, and deliberate placement of your subject in relation to position of lighting and background.
    White would be my choice as the most versatile of options, and if you're painting, go with a dull matte paint, 2-3 coats.