Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HP Combi plan

HP Combi plan

I just recieved a HP Combi plan devo system and it seems rather chinsy or flimsy.What type of expierence have any of you had with this system. I haven't run any film through it yet so maybe it will work better than I think it will. Let me know.

Re: HP Combi plan

I have two of these. They don't feel super solid but they are pretty sturdy. I know what you mean, they are not cheap and don't "feel" expensive.

On my first one, I found one of the screw-in stoppers leaked a little so I just make sure it's always on top (on the lid). No problem since then. I eventually bought a second so I can process 12 sheets at a time.

I definitely recommend the CombiPlans.

Be careful with the clip, as they can break. Just squeeze gently to remove. Also, only push it down when loading film a click or two for 4x5 film because you don't want to squish the film too much.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I know what you mean about the clips the one side cracked and I bearly squeezed it. I'm curious to try it out.

You can make the insert stronger by assembling it with the nuts on opposite sides of the insert. Then it will be more rigid. Just make sure you reassemble it with the curved sides of the end plates facing in.

If you received it with a broken Film Clip just call us next week and we will send you a replacement, 800 735-4373. The Film Clip fits on the ratchted top of the carrier. To remove it you MUST gently depress each side of the clip. Otherwise you will break it! You can just push it down. There is no need to do it by a click or two. The only way you can break it is to not depress the sides when removing it or by stepping on it!

If someone has a Light Tight Hose Connector that leaks just call us for a replacement. But check to make sure that the black washer is installed first.

It is awesome. I tried tray processing and had several problems. The Combiplan provides fantastic and repeatable results.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

I've had good luck with them also. At first, the fill/empty time bothered me, and to some extent still does, but I think it all mental. It has never caused any real problems.

When I first used it, I had minor leaking, not serious, but somewhat irritating. I finally realized that when I 'thought' I had the lid on tight, it really was not seated all the way. I found that working around the edges of the soft rubber lid every few inches after loading really seated the lid. No more leaks or seepage.

I am new to this list and completely new to LF. I have just bought an Hp combiPlan
    system. I have been trying it out with water and have a couple of questions:

What are the blue washers used for? They are not noted in the instructions.

I called HP customer service and got routed around to four different places, nobody knowing what I was talking about until they told me to call Adorama. The man there didn't know but said he was emailing me a link that would give me more information, but I never got it.
    Does anyone know of a video that shows how to load it and how to use the system? I think I understand, but a video would help a lot.

lastly, does anyone know somewhere I could get expired or unwanted 4x5 sheets so I can practice? I live in a photography wasteland.
    Thanks

Octogenarian

Hi Eleanor,

Welcome to the forum.

As you know, the Combi-Plan tanks are manufactured and distributed by HP Marketing. Bob Solomon represents that company, and wrote the instruction book for the product. He is best qualified to answer your questions and help solve your problem.

If Bob does not notice this post, click on his name on post #5 above and send him a PM or Email.

I know of no video on how to use the HP Combi-Plan. It would be nice to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by eleanor powell View Post
    I am new to this list and completely new to LF. I have just bought an Hp combiPlan
    system. I have been trying it out with water and have a couple of questions:

What are the blue washers used for? They are not noted in the instructions.

I called HP customer service and got routed around to four different places, nobody knowing what I was talking about until they told me to call Adorama. The man there didn't know but said he was emailing me a link that would give me more information, but I never got it.
    Does anyone know of a video that shows how to load it and how to use the system? I think I understand, but a video would help a lot.

lastly, does anyone know somewhere I could get expired or unwanted 4x5 sheets so I can practice? I live in a photography wasteland.
    Thanks
    The blue washers are to be thrown out. They were used to process small sheet film sizes and were needed to slightly widen the distance between the side panels. However we discontinued the divider rack that was needed to process those sizes a long time ago and today that divider is simply not available anywhere. So the blue washers have no use. The black washers in the Light Tight Hose Connector do have to be used so don't lose those!

I think you are pushing the help issue a bit though. When you call us with a technical question you normally will get either me or the Product Manager. One of us is normally here all the time. On the Combi all calls would be sent to me and I did not get any calls from you, or anyone else, with this question in the past year. However, I travel like during NAB the week of April 10th. But the office will give you my cell phone during those times and I did not receive a call on it regarding the Combi. Or someone might leave a voice mail message on my extension and you did not. I might also be out sick, like last Tuesday and Wednesday or have a doctor's appointment or be out seeing dealers. In these cases the office will also give the caller my cell phone and, again, I received no calls about this. Nor were there any messages about this on my office extension.

As to being trasferred so many times. We are an 8 person office. One is a receptionist, she is not technical. One is the office manager, he is not technical. Two are the Warehouse Managers, they are not technical. That leaves me, National Sales Manager, our Product Manager and our Order Department Manager. None of us can remember a call with your question recently.

We are HP Marketing Corp. you didn't try asking Hewlitt Packard your question?