Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New version of Canham DLC

Octogenarian

Re: New version of Canham DLC

Canham uses "T" bars instead of round knobs, as did Deardorf.

"T" bars are smaller and lighter in weight than round knobs and afford increased leverage while using less physical strength.

They especially appeal to folks like me who have arthritic fingers.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I have used many Canhams, mostly wood, but I have used the 5x7 metal camera. After using the metal camera I can see why he implemented the upgrades that he did.

Currently shooting the wood 8x10 and am LOVING it. Yeah, lots of other cameras are cheaper, but this was investment in the next 30 years of my shooting.

Octogenarian

Michael,

Keith Canham describes his Traditional (wooden) cameras as metal cameras that fold into a wooden box.

They utilize metal focusing rails and support arms machined out of black anodized aircraft aluminum. Lighter and stronger than brass or steel.

Canham lens boards are also machined out of a solid block of this material.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Well having a LOT of experience with both types of his cameras, both the folding wood and the metal cameras I can tell you that the only similarities between the two is the exceptional build quality and the lens boards. The metal camera doesn't have much in common with the wood style other than that. They fold up in different ways, have bed extensions that are different and the wood cameras have a different locking mechanism for the front and rear tilts.

Keith might say that about his wood cameras, but in practice the two are MUCH different.

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    Well having a LOT of experience with both types of his cameras, both the folding wood and the metal cameras I can tell you that the only similarities between the two is the exceptional build quality and the lens boards. The metal camera doesn't have much in common with the wood style other than that. They fold up in different ways, have bed extensions that are different and the wood cameras have a different locking mechanism for the front and rear tilts.

Keith might say that about his wood cameras, but in practice the two are MUCH different.
    totally agree. I like the wood camera better. However, the metal one is in the league of its own, I dont think it is fair to compare it with wood or Linhof, it is just different.

Octogenarian

Michael,

I also have quite a bit of experience with Canham cameras. While living in Phoenix, AZ in the early 1990's, I was fortunate enough to have had hands-on experience with the first camera that Keith designed. It was the 4x5/5x7 Traditional that was being field tested at the Photomark store.

Eventually, I ended up owning the DLC, JMC. and MQC all metal cameras, as well as the 4x5/5x7, 4x10, and 8x10 Traditional cameras (I still have the JMC).

I wasn't drawing a comparison between the two types of camera designs.

I was merely referring to Canham Traditional cameras the way that Keith Canham described them.

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    Keith did not say that his wooden cameras are the DLC, MQC and JMC models wrapped in wooden boxes, only that they are more or less metal designs wrapped in wooden boxes.

Made in the USA or made in China...

I used to have a Canham DLC and liked it for its strengths - beautiful, great bellows, long extension, lightweight. But I did not like it for my weakness - absent mindedness. I found it too fiddly. But the camera I bought to replace it cost nearly 3 times as much so I would say that the new Canham is still a great deal if you are a good fit for the ergonomics.

one is dancing around the fact that anything made in china will cost less than an American made product or something made in Europe.

On another notE: With the new model and higher price, will thee be any "old" model Canhams on the market of they now valued vintage cameras?

Will the improvements be available as retro-fits for the "old" gear?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Well made equipment pays for itself by allowing me to concentrate on the subject, the light and the composition. Not worrying about finicky adjustments or other limitations etc...really is priceless