Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Drum or flat scan?

Re: Drum or flat scan?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    They serviced my DPL8000(which is for sale now, btw) last year, cost me $2500 + tax for a complete tune-up.
    I'm going to build a wooden crate w/ 1/2" baltic ply and 1"x3" wood so when a new owner picks it up(I'm not interested in shipping it), it'll be able to ride in the back of a pickup truck if needed.

-Dan
    Dan,

Keep the crate small enough so that it will fit in the back of a mid-size SUV or mini-van. It may not be smart to limit the market to owners of pickup trucks!! Not that I have anything bad to say about owners of pickup trucks. I owned one once.

Darn, just as I was writing this I saw a report on CNBC's Fast Money that the market for pickup trucks is expected to increase a lot as the market continues to improve!!

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Are you not using DPL? I assume that with that software you could just lose the Red and Blue channels?

Sandy
    Sandy, I am using DPL. And for whatever reason I find it better to scan on RGB and then convert in photoshop. Occasionally I go the gray route and after waiting an hour find that I don't like the scan as much as the RGB scans.

I do have to fight the urge to just simply do the same thing over and over. Because when you fall into that rut you miss the chance to do something so totally stupid wrong that for whatever reason turns out to be a true masterpiece. :-)
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    John Belthoff
    Black & White Film Photographer
    http://www.customfilmworks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JBelthoff View Post
    Sandy, I am using DPL. And for whatever reason I find it better to scan on RGB and then convert in photoshop. Occasionally I go the gray route and after waiting an hour find that I don't like the scan as much as the RGB scans.

I do have to fight the urge to just simply do the same thing over and over. Because when you fall into that rut you miss the chance to do something so totally stupid wrong that for whatever reason turns out to be a true masterpiece. :-)
    DPL doesn't do that... It does a conversion based on the same numbers PhotoShop uses.... and uses too much of the red channel.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I have, I purchased my first 4500 from them. They were not even the least bit competent. I won't bother with the details but they had no idea what they were doing, or what they were looking at. It cost me a lot extra when I had to get a mounting station, good drums, etc.
    I have just read another post in a different forum from someone at Genesis. My initial response was based on an event probably in 2003 or 2004. It's true, it was a bad experience, but its quite possible that they have expanded their division and have changed. Upon reviewing how long ago this was I would suggest that people get their info about this place from a more current perspective. 10 years is a long time...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Good Post Lenny - 10 years ago is a long time as you point out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I have just read another post in a different forum from someone at Genesis. My initial response was based on an event probably in 2003 or 2004. It's true, it was a bad experience, but its quite possible that they have expanded their division and have changed. Upon reviewing how long ago this was I would suggest that people get their info about this place from a more current perspective. 10 years is a long time...

Lenny

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Good Post Lenny - 10 years ago is a long time as you point out.
    Yes, 10 years is a long time ago. Wish I were as smart as I thought I was in 2003!!

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Hey Sandy,
    Knowing you, I think your brain (even in 2013 ) is more than fine, way better than mine. More important, I would say modesty is one of your best attributes, sort of scarce around here.

Sandy's has had a brain clone with Sam Wang recently to keep him up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    Hey Sandy,
    Knowing you, I think your brain (even in 2013 ) is more than fine, way better than mine. More important, I would say modesty is one of your best attributes, sort of scarce around here.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Sandy's has had a brain clone with Sam Wang recently to keep him up to speed.
    Bob,

OK, I have the brain upgrade. I will be happy to give you some of my modesty DNA when you need it!!

Sandy

Well you would have to find the DNA somewhere else if that is the goal.

Could you try Monty McCutchen... not only is he modest , he is a fine looking Texan and maybe some of that will rub off on me.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Bob,

OK, I have the brain upgrade. I will be happy to give you some of my modesty DNA when you need it!!

Sandy