Thread: Graflarger & color prints

Graflarger & color prints

I was considering getting a Graflarger back for my 2x3 Speed graphic for some Ty pe R or Ciba enlargements I'd like to make. I like the ideea because I don't hav e room for a regular 2x3 enlarger and I don't expect to make many prints anyway. I've heard however that the cold light this back provides is not suitable for c olor work. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about that. I would also if anybody has any experience using one of these backs and what were the results?

Black and White graded only. No color. Better than nothing, but not much. Start and stop your exposures with the shutter, not a timer.

Sorin:

Cold light heads use fluorescent tubes for the light source. These tubes, especially the older ones that would be found in a Graflarger back, produce a discontinuous spectrum of lightIn other words, not all colors of the spectrum are there. A lot of the early cold light sources were extremely blue in color since older graded B&W papers were sensitized almost totally to blue light. That makes these cold lights unusable for color printing and very difficult to use for VC B&W printing.

Sorin: I tried, without much success, to filter an old tube to work well with B& W materials. I called Aristo and they said I would never really get this to work well. I followed their suggestion and relamped and now it works great. If you can't get it to work with B & W materials I'll bet this is hopeless with color. Call Aristo, they really know their stuff and are very helpful.