Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machining services

45-57-617

Machining services

Hello,

I am wondering if there be any of us who would do machining work for a fee ? Not lenses as such but lensboards ...

I don't know who to contact for doing work other than repairing photographic equipment.

Who do you recommend ?

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Machining services

Any machine shop locally, Should be able to measure the threads of the shutter/lens and make you a lens board.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McLevie View Post
    Hello,

I am wondering if there be any of us who would do machining work for a fee ? Not lenses as such but lensboards ...

I don't know who to contact for doing work other than repairing photographic equipment.

Who do you recommend ?

Thanks,

Steve
    Steve,

Specifically, what are you after?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lightbulb Re: Machining services

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    Should be able to measure the threads of the shutter/lens and make you a lens board.
    The lensboard opening is larger than the shutter thread measurement would suggest.

This is due to a ledge on the inner face of the retaining ring that fits in the hole, apparently intended to protect the threads from damage.

Correct dimensions for modern shutter mounting holes are readily available online. For Copal shutters they are:
    #0 34.8mm
    #1 41.8mm
    #3 64.2mm

There's also a Copal 3s shutter which is slightly smaller than the 3. I don't have the correct hole diameter for it.

The most well-known shop specializing in photographic machine work is SK Grimes at www.skgrimes.com

One thing to watch out for...
    Lensboards should be bored, not drilled or cut with a "hole saw".
    Boring guarantees a properly round hole, which the other techniques cannot duplicate.

- Leigh

Hi Steve,

I just realized you're in Oz, so most likely Grimes would not be your first choice.

Sorry for the confusion.

I put out an inquiry on a large machinist forum that I frequent. We'll see if there are any responses.

- Leigh

45-57-617

Hi Lachlan,

In particular I have need of a Sinar lensboard with a fitting to Compound and Ilex shutters.

So I'm not needing the usual Copal fittings.

I have seen now and then a mention by some forum users that they had machining capability and I just wondered if anyone wanted some work.

Here in Aus the machinists are VERY expensive and they are usually tied into large contracts with mining giants. The costs for relatively simple work is astronomical. I was lucky enough to get some work done in my previous place of living but I've recently shifted across country so I don't have any contacts locally. I may as well ask others whether they would like some work.

Cheers,

It's really pretty simple to do for anyone with a Bridgeport and a boring head (common machine tools). Most any agricultural or industrial area should have a few maintenance machine shops.

No need for fancy CNC or anything wild. Shops with all the latest gear will probably be set up with high-volume production work, so that setting up for a 15-minute lens board boring job will not be a good use of their time. Automotive machine shops likewise may not be interested.

Yet there are doubtless more than a few semi-retired tinkerer-machinists kicking around who'd be happy to knock it out a bore about 15 minutes for a 12 pack or a nice darkroom print, if you can make their acquaintance.

Incidentally, basic non CNC Bridgeport milling machines are selling for a relative song these days-- along the lines of what has happened to the market for LF film studio gear.

45-57-617

Hi Ivan,

I appreciate your thoughts and you are right in many respects. I need to find a retired tinkerer. Anyone who isnt retired wants big money.

Perhaps the model railway club ?! Or some aircraft something or other ...

Steve

Steve:

I'll confess, I'm one of those machining photogs you mentioned. Alas, I'm busy with my own unending series of projects at the moment, and can't offer to help. Here're a few thoughts, though.

Mills and lathes are to be found in many places besides machine shops, e.g., a local place that rents and repairs small lawn mowers has quite a nice setup. Expand your search.

Beer and pizza are the universal trading currency here; can't be too different there, I suspect. Be generous.

If you do find someone in the US, it's only US$9.60 to send a small package (less than 13oz, AIR) to AUS via 1st Class Int'l Mail.

I'm not familiar with Sinar boards - are they like Horseman boards, i.e., 5 1/2" square, with a 1/8" groove around the edge?

Charley

I must admit that I'm one of those who like the precision of a boring head on a Bridgeport. Having said that, you can do a LOT with a *good* half-round file (not a hardware store cheapie). If you use a compass and scribe a line for the desired hole and clamp the board in a secure vise, you can quickly enlarge the opening in the soft aluminum lensboards (and Sinar boards ae particularly soft and easy to file). It will take 30 minutes or so, but you'll spend that much searching for a machinist and then taking the board to his shop or the post office.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon