Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Super Bright" Ground Glass

Smile "Super Bright" Ground Glass

I have developed a new material and its coating process, "Super Bright", to brighten up the existing ground glass, up to almost 2 f stops. I will email to anyone interested in it actual photos the side by side ground glasses taped together, one S. B. treated and other not, onto which an image is projected. It clearly shows a dramatic difference in the brightness of the two ground glasses. I tried the S.B. coating on four different ground glasses from Graphic, Polaroid MP-3, Linhof, 5x7 B.J. Satin Snow, and Sinar. You will see the images of the all those treated and treated g.g.

p.s: Please send me your e-mail address, I will reply with attached photos.

Shin

Re: "Super Bright" Ground Glass

I would be very interested in seeing your product, perhaps, there are some thing we can do a partnership or enhancement to each other.

One small thing I am wondering though, are you coating the screens yourself and would a customer have to send their screen to you to have it coated, or are you looking for people to work with on this project?

Thanks for your anticipated reply.

Dave Parker
    Satin Snow Ground Glass
    gglass@satinsnowglass.com

I would also contact Bill Maxwell, Ted Bromwell, Bob Salomon at HP Marketing, and Beattie if they are still in business.

Keep your options open and don't get locked in with anyone until you can weigh all of your opportunities.

steve simmons

btw, this is Shin-ichi Kumanomido of the Mido holders - a fantastic (if quirky...!) product - makes 8x10 a hell of a lot more useable
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Eric Biggerstaff

Can you attach photos to this thread that we can see?
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

I was just interested in talking to him as my product was mentioned by name in his original post, if I understand, what it is, it will give me a better idea of what possibility exists, it sounds like an enhancement for regular ground glass, Which could be a very good thing..

Most of all, I hope he does well, anything to improve this business is a good thing.

Dave

I'd be very interested in having a brighter ground glass. Dave's GG's are amazing as-is.. and if he can provide me with an extra couple f-stops, and Shin-ichi San gets a few bob in return, I'm game!

I remember the craze of the '70s for ever 'faster' 35mm lenses...oh the hype we bought into!! (as if f1.8 weren't adequate....yeah, right!). And now my favorite lens is an f9 G-Claron. But, it's a helluva lot easier to use because I've got one of Dave's gg's. If that were even brighter somehow, it would be terrific! Make it happen, Shin.
    ----------------------------------------------------

www.johnvossphotography.blogspot.com

One question I would have about such a process is whether the coating reduces the evenness of illumination of the groundglass, particularly with wide lenses. The usual effect of making a finer, brighter glass is to make the hotspot stronger.

Off topic, but while you're on the phone, do you have any plans to bring back the Mido holders? I'd be very interested in 8x10" and larger Mido holders.

Back when Docter Optics was in business, their US distributor (TCI-Tyrolit Co.) advertised a multi-coated ground glass. The coating was applied to the non-etched surface. They claimed the coating reduced light loss from 4% (uncoated gg) to 0.5%. I wonder how this relates to f-stops of brightness. I didn't purchase the product because I thought the coating would be difficult to protect. But a coated gg would be ideal for a Graflex SLR.

David's point about "evenness of illumination" is important since hot spots are a problem with current Beattie screens and I prefer a regular gg to them.

More details would be appreciated.

Pete