Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6x9 camera or 4x5 camera with roll film back

Foamer

Re: 6x9 camera or 4x5 camera with roll film back

What kind of images do you want to make? What will you be shooting and how? Match the gear to the use.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Buy 4x5 camera and buy 6x9 MF camera such as Fujica GW/GSW690 II/III, i have GSW690III, i know i can't change the lens or have movements, but the camera giving me really sharp nice results, most of the time you will not use the movements, so have that Fuji as backup and buy 4x5, if you still have rest enough budget then get that 6x12 roll back, some 6x12 roll back coming with masks for 6x9/6x6/6x4.5, so you will have a big plus or bonus then.

Good luck!

These were made in Oman I guess?

Frank
    www.frankbunnik.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bunnik View Post
    These were made in Oman I guess?

Frank
    No, all of these are from my country, United Arab Emirates, which is just bordered with Oamn few shots above are very close to Oman borders, but the rest which are the desert shots are in center of UAE, Sharjah city or area.

If I were shooting rollfilm with wide to normal lenses, there's no way I'd be lugging a view camera kit around. I'd go for a technical camera.

If budget isn't a problem, I'd go for something nice like an Alpa or Silvestri. I might even buy digital lenses in some cases since some of them can cover, say, 6x7 film but they'd also be a good investment for the future. Same goes for the camera, since it has the required precision for a digital back.

If budget is a concern, I'd probably think about a Fotoman Dmax.

The technical cameras are small, can be used handheld and they're very precise.

On the other hand, you could just shoot 4x5. The film isn't cheap, but you end up shooting fewer frames so it works out about the same in my experience.

Stick with digital.
    If you just MUST go to film, look at Mamiya RB67.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

There are many options, i have digital MF and because of it i converted to film but i still shoot digital, i will be done or completed once i can get myself a technical camera, it is like i keep the most precise gear to the end, so i go through 35mm digital to MF digital then MF film and now with LF, all of them are really interesting to use and have fun enjoyable shooting with, i know that is so pricey within the time, but i can remember every moment i use each gear for shooting anywhere, this is truly priceless whatever i do.

If i want to shoot only rolls of film then i have few options:
    - Get Mamiya 7II, it has an optional adapter so you can shoot with 35mm panos
    - Fuji 667, the new one which you can shoot 6x6 and 6x7 at the same time
    - Hasselblad V series or Mamiya 6x7 options with back changeable
    - Horseman or Fotoman or similar for 6x17 or 6x12
    - 4x5 field camera lightweight with roll back

with any option above you should be able to use rolls anytime, but think of each pros and cons for your advantage, sometimes go with 2 options if possible instead of one, we always don't know what we will want in the future, so getting 2 things instead of one will make our future choices even less and less [i mean 2 systems or formats than one].

Quote Originally Posted by Minhhich View Post
    Hi guys,
    This is my first post but I would like to thanks all of you for so much information on this forum as I've been following for a while. I recently got all of my canon 1ds mk2 and mamiya gear stolen and so I would like to have a fresh start. I want to shoot medium format permanently and not sheet film due to its cost. So I was thinking about wether to get a 6x9 field camera or a 4x5 field camera with roll film back? Also if I go for the 6x9 camera would it be hard to find lens boards for them? I want to use lenses such as 47 -> 90 mm max with movement. Please help. Arca Swiss f 69 or linhof technikardan 23 would be nice but they are hard to find used here in the UK. Please also recommend me some other brand aswell.
    Thanks
    Minh
    Minh, your budget of UKP 1,000 won't buy a modern 6x9 view camera. It will buy an ancient one, if one can be found, and some lenses. Ancient ones, such as my 2x3 Cambo SC, are pretty hostile to short lenses.

If you can sacrifice movements, a 2x3 Crown Graphic with Graflok back or a Century Graphic (plastic-bodied 2x3 Crown with integral Graflok) will do what you need. All these bijoux offer in the way of movements with short lenses is ~ 10 mm front rise, and that with the front wire frame finder removed. Easy surgery.

One of these beasties with several lenses in your focal length range should fit your budget easily. But you'll have to shop on ebay.com, not on ebay.co.uk.

Note that on 2x3 90 mm is just 10% shorter than normal for the format.

You can read about the lenses I use on my little Graphics at http://www.galerie-photo.com/1-lens-6x9-dan-fromm.html , http://www.galerie-photo.com/2-lens-6x9-dan-fromm.html , http://www.galerie-photo.com/3-lens-6x9-dan-fromm.html . Section 1 discusses adapters and macro lenses, section 2 discusses short lenses (with a few in the appendix to section 3), and section 3 discusses long lenses.

I understand that a press camera won't do all that you think you want to do. Your budget is, though, constraining. A press camera is a compromise, may be the best you can do if you insist on shooting 6x9 with a camera made for 6x9.

Others have suggested that you think hard about shooting 2x3, sorry, 6x9, with a 4x5 camera. I can't evaluate those options, but a 4x5 may be a better compromise for you than a 2x3 press camera.

FFordes in the UK is a reliable company that at this moment has a used Linhof Technikardan S23 with some extra available for GBP 949.

For 300 pounds less you can buy a Shen Hao 4x5 camera. The money you save buys you a lens and possibly a Chinese 6x12 back (on Ebay).

I always thought that sheet film was a hassle and that I was never going to use it. How wrong could I have been! Sheet film is easy to use and since I use it, I keep postponing buying a roll film back.

Compared to the 4x5 camera I now use, the Horseman VHR 6x9 camera was a real hassle due to small knobs, a dim screen and a 6x9 screen is really too small to check movements.

My advice would be to buy a 4x5 camera. The Chinese sell a roll film back on Ebay that gives you the choice between 6x4,5cm, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12. Not as sophisticated as an Arca Swiss back but much cheaper and not as fragile. The back is sold under several names, among them Shen Hao. Labeled "Da Yi" however, it sells for about half the price of the same back labeled Shen Hao. You could use this AND have the possibility to shoot 4x5 sheet film.

Good luck with your choice, Frank