Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New toy - a Star Camera Co. 10x12!

New toy - a Star Camera Co. 10x12!

My new project ('cause I have time for it...) arrived today - a Star Camera Company 10x12" view camera. In very good shape, with three holders. The unique rise/fall is based on a tambour panel, which needs some attention. Rest of it is icing on the cake.

New toy... by Scott --, on Flickr

Not sure how much spit-shining I'll do on this one - I'm tempted to give it a gingerly cleaning and get on with it...

Stay tuned...

Re: New toy - a Star Camera Co. 10x12!

I think it might need new bellows! Lucky again - the square type!

Scott,
    Looks great!

Post more photos!

What are the specs--bellows length? Weight?

Interesting design--a folder with a cut-out base??

Nice !
    That tambour rise and fall is very interesting, is it friction or is there a lock somewhere
    to hold it ?

Thanks, guys. I'm excited. I'll get more photos up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I think it might need new bellows! Lucky again - the square type!
    Steven, I need to check, but I think there's a slight taper to these bellows. But, yep, gonna be replaced. Sending the originals and frames off to Wales likely next week. Need to decide on color - black, red, or blue. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Scott,
    What are the specs--bellows length? Weight?

Interesting design--a folder with a cut-out base??
    Michael, I'll throw it on a scale today, but it's pretty robust. I think the shipping box, with three holders, was around 27 pounds. Has just about 30" of draw. I'm just really happy it's got the front tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    Nice !
    That tambour rise and fall is very interesting, is it friction or is there a lock somewhere
    to hold it ?
    Jim, the tambour is an interesting design, and may've been an attempt to keep the bellows design simple and less likely to sag. There's very little (if any) taper, and instead of a small board moving up and down with the rise, the tambour acts as a screen for the whole interior. And it has a locking knob - it actually raises and lowers with a turning knob.

Now, one of the tambour slats was loose and came off after unpacking. I've since removed that whole tambour panel, and can't fit the slat back in. I think what was causing it to seize was shrinkage of the leather backing, causing the panel to curl. With the one slat out, it's much more flexible and seems like it'll work better. I may take a hand plane and thin the slat and fit it back in. The curling caused some damage to the leather backing at the top of the panel; I think I'm going to flip it end-for-end and reinstall it. Should fix the problem, and when flat, I don't think there'll be any light leakage. That's the plan, anyway. And I think the leather'll get some Bick 4, too.

Great project! I have a couple of 10x12 holders, and I'm planning an extension back for my 'dorff. I think 10x12 is a great format, and so is 6x10 (Golden Mean). I plan to use ortho lith or X-ray film, and I found some Chinese 10x12 paper to match. Am I coming off cheap?

Not cheap at all, Jay! Just practical. And I want to know where you're getting film and paper in this size!

Okay, a few more details, complete with photos:

First, it's too big for my Slik Master Classic:

This one'll live on the Ries.

Second, in order to minimize the size of the extension bed, there are brass strips on the bed with little detents every few inches:

There are two locking tabs on the front standard, one on either side, that snap into the detents. The tabs are tightened against the strips then by means of knobs at the top of the standard. A little slower to set up, maybe, but makes this behemoth a little more compact.

The ground glass is gridded, and the grid is silk screened on:

And, a unique feature of this camera, the bottom of the back is angled:

I think this allows for back tilt when the rear box is moved forward a bit. Regardless, it keeps the camera from sitting upright.

As near as I can measure, the bellows aren't tapered. I measure a slight difference (maybe 1/4") between front and rear, but the bellows are in very poor shape, and I think this is just error. When they come out, a measurement of the frames will be more indicative. And the camera, without lens or holders, weighs in at 14.5 pounds, which, I think, isn't bad for such a beast.

The removed bottom tambour panel is in clamps right now, tacking down some loose strips. The separated strip is staying off the panel for now...

Scott,

See the links below for two kinds of film and one paper, all cheap...errr....inexpensive!

I have a project in mind for this kit. I work 1/2 the time here in Alaska and spend the other 1/2 at home in Idaho, soon to be Seattle. I plan to make one exposure at home, and another in Alaska, on the same sheet of film, so that each resulting negative will reference both halves of my life. It's technically challenging, but I have a strategy involving indexing each composition on a clear plastic sheet laid over the GG, and kept with the holder. I'll use my 'dorff with extension back at home, and I'll build a simple box camera to keep at work in Alaska, so I'll just carry the lens and film holders back and forth. My low contrast developer is working well for me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jay_defehr/5521421621/

and I'm getting comfortable working with this type of film.

For 6x10, since I'll be using ortho film, I think I'll start by simply securing the 1/2 sheet of 10x12 in the middle of the 10x12 holder. Ultimately, I'd like to build some 6x10 holders, and even a 6x10 camera, but I've got a lot on my plate at the moment.

Enjoy your big, beautiful camera. I look forward to seeing it in refurbished condition.

http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ulorlifi10x1.html
    http://xrayexpress2-px.rtrk.com/prod...cat=253&page=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/LUCKY-10x12-RC-2...item53e696ad24

Jay, that's ortho lith film?! I thought that'd give very little in the way of grayscale. You're gonna have to give me more detail on that sometime...

Okay, question fer y'all: I've done a little work on the camera, and I swear that the metalwork is copper. Either plated or solid, it's definitely not straight brass. Has a nice, even, dark patina (not verdigris, though). I'm not polishing the metal. But has anyone heard of any cameras manufactured using copper?